Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In two year's of reading the two FFR build related forums, I've never seen a post on any problem with the location of the FFR steering shaft in regard to the driver's seat. In the stock "FFR" configuration on my #2651, I found the bottom of the steering wheel off-centered about 1-2" over my right leg and low enough, that I couldn't raise my thigh high enough to depress the brake with anything but the side of my right foot. I'm 6'2" and found this position quite awkward (and dangerous) with my size 12's feet. I welded up a bracket which moved the pillow-block and steering shaft up and over about 1.5" each, respectively. Seems to work ok, with sufficient room in the go-kart phase. I can now work the brake pedal with the bottom of my foot, however, I am a bit concerned that the upcoming relocation of the steering hole in the pre-cut FFR dash might cause me some problems trying to fit the 5" autometers into the FFR cutout dash in about 2 weeks when I get go kart back from painter while he finishes block sanding and painting the body. Any comments please?
Eddie

·
Registered
916 Posts
My approach to this same problem was to leave the pillow block in the original location and add spacers beneath it. Also changed to 14" steering wheel.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
I have everything stock and it seems the seat has me 2 inches off center to towards the passenger side. If straight ahead of me down the hood of the car was 90 degrees and pass door was 0 degrees and drivers door was 180 I feel as if I am at 95 degrees sitting in the car strapped in?

·
Charter Member
682 Posts
I also am facing this dilemma. The goal at this stage is to reengineer the location/angle of the seats, seatbelts, steering wheel and pedals to make them all work together (i.e. more ergonomic and safe) for racing as well as daily driver. I have a very good friend who engineers/builds custom seats and frame components for NASCAR. In his opinion the street performer seats are built all wrong for safety.

#1 As we all know the angle needs to be changed to lift the front (custom mounts)

#2 The exit angle for the belts through the waist portion of the seat is wrong should be 45 deg.

#3 The shoulder harness holes in the seat are to low even for a standard torso.

#4 The crotch belt has no hole to come through the base of the seat.

As for the frame on the car

#1 All of the seatbelt mounting locations are off but I am waiting on more info on this.

#2 The angle of the seat with the tranny tunnel makes things a little weird.

Steering,

#1 Well, need I say more about this.

Pedals

#3 Location, Location.

Now you probably are asking my why I'm bringing up all of this other stuff when your just talking about the steering wheel locations. Well I thought I was alone when I first sat in one of these cars (MKII) and felt things were off just a tick. Please don't take this as complaining I just see it as a challenge. Otherwise I love my car and can't wait to have it ready for DVSF.

Scott

·
Registered
168 Posts
Mine is toward the center too. The brake is hard to get to without hitting the wheel, but I wondered since all I have is the booster on would it be different when finished, I guess not.
It seams if the pedal was not so high it would not be a problem. Anybody done anything to change the pedal hight?
Now is the time to fix it.

Loving it
Gary

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Easier to lift the steering column at the upper mount with a spacer.
In the early stages of the build I too noticed the off center seating position. Someone told me once I drive the car, that I wouldn't notice it.
He was right!
RR

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,266 Posts
Ask Ralph. He has driven his over 100K. The off center position will not be noticed once you start driving. By the way, I am 6'2" @ 200lb.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.