Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,825 Posts
Looks like steel. Who's dizzy and what's the part number?

· Registered
4,498 Posts
well you could do a spark test. but nothing to compare the sparks too.

· HighPlainsDrifter
549 Posts

Hi,
1983 had a flat tappet cam so iron gear. An 85 and up had a roller cam with steel gear.
Perry.

· Registered
27 Posts
Looks like steel....

The 302 in the car I bought ate my MSD dizzy gear in less than 100 miles. Local MSD dealer told me to confirm whether it was cast or steel before I replaced it just to be sure there weren't other issues. He told me the 3 methods were spark color, filings, and visual. The first two tests were not as conclusive as the visual for my situation. The MSD cast iron gear is more dimpled and the steel would be much smoother looking and more similar to what machining would create. It was easy to find pictures online of the iron gear and the steel gear just to be sure.

· Charter Member
6,164 Posts
definitely looks like steel to me. The cast gears look a lot rougher at the top edge where the pin is.

· Premium Member
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Though mine does look a little more finished. Like this Summit iron gear....

I think I'll just go get it and be sure. Then I'll have time to figure if I have a spare or not.

· Official OLD GUY
3,877 Posts
Cam?

Your tag line says; "Building 289 engines".
Your distributor selection says 302 (5.0).

It would help us help you figure out what dizzy to run if you were to mention which engine you are building and, most importantly, what cam are you running in it (original hydraulic, solid lifter Hi-Po style or a newer design roller). It's the cam that decides which dizzy gear to run to match metals. Dissimilar metals will cause you a world of headaches.

Doc :beerchug:

· Charter Member
6,164 Posts
that picture looks like a steel gear.

steel

cast iron

· Premium Member
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Went with the MSD iron dizzy gear as I was sure it is iron.

Brand: MSD Ignition
Manufacturer's Part Number: 85852
Part Type: Distributor Gears
Product Line: MSD Iron Distributor Gears
Summit Racing Part Number: MSD-85852

UPC: 085132858521
Distributor Gear Material: Iron
Drilling Required: No
Roll Pin Included: Yes
Quantity: Sold individually.

MSD puts their years of experience to work in making these top-notch iron distributor gears. Their high grade, ductile iron is micro polished for a smooth and scuff-free finish then Melonite QPC coated to reduce friction and initial wear. Excessive clearance causes timing fluctuation throughout the rpm range, resulting in lost horsepower, so MSD also designed these oversized gears for tighter mesh between the camshaft and distributor drive gears.

Was going to get the Summit Brand until I read this poem in their description:

Brand: Summit Racing
Manufacturer's Part Number: SUM-850463
Part Type: Distributor Gears
Product Line: Summit Racing® Iron Distributor Gears
Summit Racing Part Number: SUM-850463

Distributor Gear Material: Iron
Drilling Required: No
Roll Pin Included: No
Quantity: Sold as a kit.
Notes: This is a steel gear that matches the hardness of cast iron and is designed for use with most hydraulic and mechanical flat tappet camshafts.

Match your camshaft with Summit Racing® iron distributor gears. These small gears have a big impact on your engine's performance. Best suited for hydraulic or solid flat tappet camshafts, our iron distributor gears are the perfect mates for your cast iron cams. The right choice is critical for your engine and your wallet--choose Summit Racing® iron distributor gears.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.