Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
IIRC you need to flow about 850 CFM. Ask filter manufacturer flow capacity of the filter you are interested in.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I don’t know if there is any correlation between air filter flow and carb size but Ford Racing recommends a 750 CFM carb for that engine. I don’t know if that means anything or not.

Bill Lomenick

·
6,559 Posts
750cfm is just right for that engine unless you intend on full race. Make sure it's a QuickFuel. Good read here

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Agree on carb size. Long time away from carbureted engines but it was all too common for people to over carb engines because bigger is always better.:)

Factory's generally covered carb size against unknown end usage by using a larger carb with vacuum secondary control that would open them on engine demand.

Not as sexy as a double pumper but effective on a street/track car when properly dialed in.

·
Certified Mad Scientist
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The planned engine is a custom build using a Dart block. Have made no real decision on a carburetor, yet. The finished air box/filter assembly, Front Runner drive system, and full exhaust will be given to the builder. We'll talk about what I expect from the engine when I drop that stuff off and we'll choose a carburetor then. I don't want to have to redesign the air box if he tells me it doesn't flow enough. Just trying to make sure I get in under the 10% restriction level at max RPM. Hell, it might even get a vacuum secondaries carb if the torque curve is fat enough! I've tuned a few sweetheart small block chevys with mild-ish setups using vacuum secondaries, but nothing at this power level.

Eric

·
Premium Member
8,065 Posts
You will lose power with that filter, but more likely will loose more with the typical air filter tray and lid than the element itself.

·
Certified Mad Scientist
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, time to change the design plan. Looks like I'll need a big, round filter, and drop it as much as possible to get as much height as possible. Time to dust off the old fabrication skills again...

Eric

1 - 11 of 11 Posts