Shade Tree Mechanic
14,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Troy,
Thanks. So close to mounting the body.....only another week and $50....no $100.......no $150......anybody want to buy a nice dirt bike?

·
Supreme Cobra Commander
9,692 Posts
The painless one looks like the one I got from It's a Snap I used on the last Cobra. The light switch that came with the wiring harness from Factory Five looks like a must better switch- and a little cheaper to. It has the push button release like the early Ford switches. If I buy another I'm going wioth the FF switch. It's a few dollars cheaper too.
http://parts.factoryfive.com/newcatalog/plumbingelec/headlightsw.htm

It would be good to hear from someone who has actually used the FF switch in their car, I'm just going on my initial impression.

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
Just make sure you have a good relay between the switch and the lights.

I thought that switch didn't require having a relay...I was wrong.

Without the relay, you'll burn up the switch.

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dan,
Snap says no HL relay needed but I'm with you I'll wire one in.
Russ

·
Junior Charter Member
382 Posts
I had trouble with the painless the dash dimmer rheostat is sloppy and the parking light detent is hard to find. Also, an expensive item. Got a FFR switch from a friend and I love it.

Frank

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What relay do I need here? Do I need a relay on both hi and low beams? Or 1 relay to handle both?

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
Yes, that's the relay for the switching, but used one between that & the switch.

I can't really explain it perfectly, but the first relay allows low current to flow through the switch...the relay handles the load. From the hot feed from that relay, power goes to goes to another relay that switches from high beam to low beam when you press a button that completes the ground.

That did the trick for me.

I burned through that switch the first time I took the car out for an evening drive. It has a built in circuit breaker that was wreaking havok on the whole electrical system when it would trip and reset. I didn't know it was the switch and thought I had a major electrical problem. I actually pulled into an autozone and bought a fire extinguisher and drove home with no lights.

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dan,
Thanks, so I do need 2 relays. You do have a simple schematic? I thought I only needed 1 relay? I'm not sure I understand how to wire this? I'm tempted to not use a relay, but I know there's been a lot of advice to the contrary.

O.K. found this on FAQ, http://www.ffcars.com/FAQ/lights2.gif
I'm confused by the numbers on the relay cotacts? Wouldn't my relay above work?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Funny I found this post. I needed to order a new headlight switch as mine has some very loose terminals. I wasn't certain where it came from but there it is. The painless model in silver. My question is the high / low beam switch is presently in the Painless Switch. That is to say: Pull out one stop for parking lights...Pull out 2nd stop for head lights....push back in one stop and pull back out again high beams. Do it again and low beams. I'm wondering if that painless is the best choice seeing it should be the SAME switch..... Also I placed my order earlier today with FFR for their switch....so if anyones in need of a switch wait a week or so as I'll have one of them for sale.... :confused:

·
Supreme Cobra Commander
9,692 Posts
SD, I don't think two headlights on high beams would draw more than 30 amps. If that's the only thing you have to get from Summit that's going to cost you over 20 bucks for that relay. Check Napa for a SPDT relay, PM me, I may have an extra.

·
Supreme Cobra Commander
9,692 Posts

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tim,
That Bosch relay guide is awesome, but I didn't find a headlight schematic? That summit relay is 10 bucks but there are others that are cheaper. I'm ordering some stuff from summit so thought I'd get the relay along with it. Looks like the consensus is to go with the FFR switch.

·
Cone Killer
1,781 Posts
Dog,
I used John's schematic with Russ' turn signal and the relays recommended on his site. He even has a parts order list and some very good pictures to help you along the way.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts