Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a guy tell me that he had a '71 Ford Galaxy Convertable for sale. It is partially restored and he said it has a 429 Police Interceptor engine in it. Is this one of the good big blocks? Just wondering because it is cheap. Thanks for any opinions.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The 390 and 429 intercepter engines and top notch. I had a 390 intercepter in my 68 mustang and it was crazy fast. Check the vin to make sure it is really an intercepter engine or a standard 429.

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,825 Posts
The 429 Police Interceptor was actually a 429 Cobra Jet (as it was called in Ford Mustangs Torinos, Mercury Cougars and Cyclones) and was used in Ford full-sized (police) sedans for only one year (1971). It was rated at 370 hp. 1972 models are not as desirable though.
Here are the basic specs:

429 Cobra Jet
Four-bolt main engine block (with exception to some early 1970 models).

Larger cylinder heads---2.25 inches/1.72 inches intake/exhaust.

Rocker arms were stamped steel 1.73:1 ratio with sled type fulcrums, threaded screw-in rocker studs and pushrod guide plates.

The rocker arms on the 429 cubic inch Cobra Jet were also adjustable prior to 1969.

Cobra Jet used a Rochester Quadrajet carburetor atop a spread-bore cast-iron manifold.

A pretty good find I think. See Wayne Presley's recent posts on 'Big Red' to get an idea of what is possible with an engine like this.

Sean

·
USAF Lifer (Retired)
1,221 Posts
Originally posted by canuck1:

Here are the basic specs:

429 Cobra Jet
Four-bolt main engine block (with exception to some early 1970 models).

Larger cylinder heads---2.25 inches/1.72 inches intake/exhaust.

Sean
Someone correct me if I am wrong but these attributes are for the SUPER Cobra Jet

The heads Alone on a SCJ are worth big $$$ and are coded DOOE-R

Regular CJ's were 2-bolt mains

·
Senior Charter Member
1,665 Posts
I wasn't sure the PI engine was the CJ. What Sean describes seems pretty accurate. I'm not sure about valve sizes but they had a hotter cam with larger valves and ports. I thought all of the '70s were 2 bolt mains.

·
Premium Member
5,825 Posts
Originally posted by Tim Burns:
Someone correct me if I am wrong but these attributes are for the SUPER Cobra Jet

The heads Alone on a SCJ are worth big $$$ and are coded DOOE-R

Regular CJ's were 2-bolt mains [/QB]
Tim,

I'm working from a very foggy memory bank, but I did check some data online as well. The spec data checks out from a couple different sources, but I copied it from here: Ford Classic engine specs

There is considerable disagreement in many circles as to whether the 1970 model was a 2 or 4 bolt block. It would be very much like Ford to make both types even though they were both referred to as 'Cobra Jet'. :rolleyes:

Certainly the FE Cobra Jet series was a 2 bolt main block whereas the FE Super Cobra Jet was a 4 bolt model. It is my understanding (other than the 'early 1970's' exception listed above) that the 385 series big block Cobra Jet and Super Cobra Jet were both 4 bolt main blocks.

Hope this answers your question as well Sprayed496. Yes, the 385 series engines were considerably larger and heavier than their FE contemporaries.

Sean

·
Junior Charter Member
537 Posts
Check the head casting number located between the center two spark plugs and just below the valve cover.
Also a lot of good information here;
http://460ford.com/

Regardless, yes, it is a good engine even with D0VE or D3VE heads instead of the CJs. Lots of aftermarket support now.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How do identify what engine it actually is? Does anyone know what the VIN#'s are for the PI or CJ engine? Thanks for the info!!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After a little research I found that the 1971 Galaxie Convertible was available with a 429-4V engine. Would this be the "Police Interceptor" or Cobra Jet engine? It said that it had 360HP.

·
Junior Charter Member
537 Posts
A car that old could have had several different engines in its lifetime. You need to look at the head casting numbers to determine what is in there now. The date codes (when the head was cast) are located under the valve cover. The ID number for the heads are located as I said above. The date code for the block is in the lifter valley. The ID for the block is located on a machined area near the starter. Most likely the block is a D1VE. The VIN of the car will tell you what it originally came with, not what is in it now. Also as was previously noted, what kind of carb and intake is on it, Rochester on an iron spreadbore intake? Motorcraft or Holley on a square intake?
Give us some numbers.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Dan. I'm going to try to go look at it today and see if I can come up with some more info to identify it.

·
Official OLD GUY
3,875 Posts
Just to clear some things up, only 427 side oilers had four bolt main in all of the FE class engines. Unless, by some miracle you come across a very late casting "Taxi / Police Service" 390. But all of those have prety much been found or melted down to be something else.

As for the 385 series engines, Ford placed both 2 and 4 bolt main blocks in almost anything back then, most being Super Cobra Jets, Cobra Jets, Police (and Taxi) Interseptors and even a few "Plain Jane" vehicles, whatever was available for the car at the moment it was being assembled on the line.

Doc

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I checked out the engine and it is a two barrel carb and says 429-2V on the valve cover. The heads are DOVE. I couldn't get under the car to check the numbers by the starter. On another forum they said the only difference between the 2V and 4V is the carb and intake. I take it the DOVE heads tell me that it is not an Interceptor or CJ engine, correct?

·
Junior Charter Member
537 Posts
Standard passenger car heads. CJ heads would be D00E. I am not sure of the number for Interceptor heads but it is not D0VE. It would still be a good base to build a very nice engine. Those heads can be ported to support 600 hp with the right supporting equipment.

·
Junior Charter Member
537 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts