Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Zipper-suited sun god and
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read this.

Confusing as heck... how do I know if I want to change my advance stop bushing? Is there a dummy's way of knowing how to tune these things for best performance, like easy ways to check if a change is better or worse for a particular replacement (stop bushings, advance springs, etc)?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,120 Posts
Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,650 Posts
The charts are the most helpful. Most small blcok Fords like 34 to 36 degrees total timing in by 3000 rpm. Figure your base timing and subtract. So say 12 degree base looking for a total of 34 says you need 22 degrees in by 3000 rpm. Look for the table that gives you this. That would be the blue bushing with two light blue springs. From there you can fine tune for optimal performance with no detonation.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Dave post your engine combo with any mods listed. We may be able to get you real close for initial set up. Mark gave you a very good starting point on amount of total timing and what rpm it should be fully advanced. Initial timing will depend on how engine is build more so what cam was used. Big cams=more initial timing.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,168 Posts
Great info. Thanks, I needed that.
Pete

·
Zipper-suited sun god and
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Eddie-

If I am using a computer, then, and an MSD distributor with the springs and stops, does the computer still control advance? Would changing the springs and stops have any effect on timing?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts