Factory Five Racing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When looking into my clutch problems, I noticed my T/O bearing is in constant contact with the clutch fingers. Just wondered if this was normal or if there should be some clearence there like most cars. Seem the bearing life would be rather short ? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
It is my understanding that there should always be slight pressure on the bearing.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I installed a Tilton hydraulic T/O bearing. Tilton's instructions called for a small initial gap (about 0.15") between the bearing surface and the clutch fingers. This is to account for clutch wear over time (I believe the clutch fingers move closer to the bearing as the disc gets thinner).

Although I'm not a mechanic or engineer, I agree that spinning the bearing all the time is unnecessary.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Tom
According to previous posts by Steve50Shop (I think that is the name) as well as others and my local Ford mechanic the throw out bearing is absolutely supposed to be in contact with the pressure plate fingers at all times. Apparently Ford designed it this way and there is no effect on the bearing life. When I tore down my 140K donor it had the orginal bearing and it was fine.

Dave :D

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Re: Position of Throwout Bearing

This is a web-site description from SPECIALTY Brake and Clutch regarding Installation Tips for clutch assemblies:

'Adjust clutch pedal to give correct pedal "free travel". The release bearing should be 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch away from contacting the clutch refease levers or diaphragm spring which is equal to 3/4 inch to 1 inch movement at the clutch pedal.'

Full article found at:
http://www.clutchshop.com/install.htm

Hope that this will help.

alc

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL !!!!OK, we're at 50/50 now
anyother opinions ... ???
I just don't want to have to change it after 1000 miles if it's not supposed to touch. Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
Constant contact. Dave is correct, there have been much discussion of this in the past, Steve50Shop (or was it The50ShopSteve ??), said this, and I think he knows.

Most clutch t/o bearings are NOT in constant contact: Ford is unique with this one, which I believe is made necessary because of the automatic clutch adjustment feature on the Mustang.

I wouldn't worry about the bearings: alternator bearings seem to last, and they rotate several times faster than the crankshaft :eek: :eek:

Forrest

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
If mine was not in contact I would have to push the clutch pedal beyond the headers to allow engagement! That was my answer.. It just contacts the fingers...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.