Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want to start up all the venting of frustrations again, but I just "tried" to install my e-brake system without success (MkIII, Rear Discs from Discbrakesrus, Handle & "T" from Breeze). I've read all the posts but can't seem to find the final resolution other than "your on your own".

Routing under the 4" tube (which my manual does not mention) and the "Rachet gear stop bracket" removed, the spring on the handle takes up the slack in the cable but puts the "T" very close to the handle. Raising the handle does not tighten the cable until the pawl engages which is right at the end of the travel.

The Ford racing instructions say to disable the handle spring by cutting off the spring tab and welding the pawl at the second notch. If I did this the "T" cable would move away from the handle so I would have more tightening but then the cables would be three inches too long.

Either way the cables rubbing under the 4" tube and up against the transmission support "A" frame does not look right.

If I go over the 4" tube the same cable length/tightening issues exist but the cables are about 4 to 5" too long.

My cables are 47" on the the casing end to end and 71.75 on the actual cable end to end.

Do I have the wrong cables?
Has FFR come up with a better way?
Or should I just get on with copying what others have done?

THanks, Jay

·
Registered
274 Posts
Jay Bird, I am at the very same point you are at in the build and I too have had issues with the cables being too long.

Having said that, I shot an email to Mike Forte about his Y-billet cable holder and it appears to allow you to fold over the cable and clamp it to the desired length. If this is true we can essentially handle the cable much like Mark Warner did in a previous post.

I am awaiting a reply so i can order the piece and give it a try.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,359 Posts
Jay Bird, like Postal said, I think you can either wait for some kind of univeral solution, which doesn't appear too iminent, or you can press on. I decided to press on and go above the 4" tube and fold over the cable onto itself my desired length. It sounds from Postal's post that Forte has got a "kit" which allows you to do this with his parts. Having had Forte's parts and knowing their exceptional quality, I would suggest you work with Mike, get his kit, set it up to your desired length and move on as I did. In the end, I didn't really care how pretty it was or whose idea it was, or even if it was some kind of universal fix, I just wanted it to work right. I think some of the problem come with those of us who go with discs all around.

Oh well... good luck and let me know how it turns out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts