Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im planing my build and i was wondering if people are using anti lock brake systems in the donor. what are the pro and cons...

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have no problem on the race track without anti-lock. I do use the wilwood master cylinder setup with bias adjustment.

·
Premium Member
18,135 Posts
Anti lock brakes are for people who don't know how to drive well; and for modern cars with no road feel. You'll find that it won't take much practice to modulate Cobra brakes easily - especially manual brakes.

I wouldn't bother. It adds weight and complexity, and no real performance advantage.

·
Cone Killer
1,726 Posts
I'm not sure I would bother but I certainly wouldn't say it is only for people that don't know how to drive well. It wasn't outlawed from many racing series because the drivers were too good for it, it was giving an unfair advantage. If it were easy and simple to install, I would probably use it. It would only add a few pounds and give a big braking advantage.

Just my $0.02, though.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,355 Posts
Many people use it. I put it on my build but, am not driving yet.
Jesper at FFR put it on his car and loves it.
Search the 4.6 forum lots of info there.
By the way you can install an electric switch to defeat it if you want the option of ABS or non ABS.

1 side note I'm told the traction control is not worth it.

·
Charter Member
378 Posts
When I met Dave during my FF factory tour I asked him what he thought about ABS. He mentioned how much he liked one of the cars there that had ABS (might be Jesper's car). While looking at Daves track car, I thought to myself... if Daveeeee likes I think it will be just fine for me as well. So, my coupe is getting ABS. I'm using 4 channel ABS from a 2003 Cobra, should work pretty well.

·
613 Posts
Cons of ABS- extra wiring and brake lines. Pros- being able to stand on the brakes and not worry about locking up the tires no matter the road surface. It's your choice. HTH mike

·
Senior Charter Member
1,230 Posts
I took a ride in a FFR with ABS and it did stop very well. I cant really compare it to other cars because I was not driving the ABS car. Now this is a little off topic but I have tested the ABS in several cars(all of my cars, my parents cars, and some friends cars) and most of them have locked up wheels in wet and icy conditions particularly when transferring from dry to wet patches while braking. I know that ABS shouldn't care what the road conditions are, but I have come to not trust ABS, I still think its a great feature, but I don't trust it.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
If you need it it'a already to late. That is for most people I for one do not ABS on anything. Just adds cost and like I said if you need it it's to late. There have seen reports that it dose not save people from hitting things and cost more for repairs. But if it's what you want do it after all it is your car.
Gregg

·
Senior Charter Member
1,600 Posts
RedJokers right,
ABS would be great in racing applications. With the car's suspension in motion and tires loading and unloading I think that it would help a lot. I know that I have locked-up the left front or right front breaking too late going into a turn.
But hey...I never said I was a great driver!
Also, doesn't F1s use ABS? HMMMM
Take care,
Ron

·
Junior Charter Member
478 Posts
ABS is dangerous, I guess that's why it's standard on all new production cars. Just like all the deaths caused by seat belts.

And yes on the track you are alert, prepared and if you know what you're doing you probably don't need ABS. But when you're on the road and a soccer mom on a cell phone blows a stop sign you can guarantee you have the presence of mind not to lock up the brakes when the adrenaline surge hits?

p.s. ABS isn't there so you can stop faster, it's there so you can steer the car under emergency braking conditions.

p.p.s If it was allowed, every professional racing car in the world would have ABS.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,501 Posts
At the risk of being labeled a bad driver. I confess I have ABS. There now that I am out of the closet I feel better. True that on my cobra I have not yet needed it. Even on the track it hasn't done the modulating for me. Some will say, "I want to be in control of my own car". It is only needed for panic situations. A computer can react much faster than you. I have avoided a freeway accident thanks to antilock on my daily driver. It is not complex to install. You can't even tell you have it unless you lock the brakes up. Don't be intimidated by those who don't understand it. I have had ABS on every car I owned since 1987.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
6,103 Posts
Aero Guy is right. Also, if you are using 4 channel ABS, it brakes each wheel independently based on differential speed of the wheels. If there is some sand or water on the road, 1 wheel may lock up - 4 channel ABS takes care of this. I have yet to see the driver who can modulate or pump their brakes so it lets off only the front right and not the other 3 wheels. That would be a sight to see.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.