Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Junior Charter Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my exhaust routed to the left and right lower corners the car. I would like to take the back of the the C5 license plate/backup lights and bond it into where the exhaust origonal exited. I dont have any fiberglass experience. Can I cut this piece out of the C5 plastic bumper and bonded/glass it into place?

Attachments

· Registered
34 Posts
If you are not concerned about the loss of the opening for the heat to escape and you have a bumper, here you go. Mask off the area you need, tape any openings up, wax it very very good, apply a release agent film allow the release agent to dry very very good, thicken some resin for a gel coat, apply the gel coat, wait for it to set up almost all the way still a little tacky. Brush on some resin and apply the cloth two to four layers depending on the weight of your cloth. you can cover with some plastic to keep the resin from trying to drain out while it sets up. If you add too much hardner to the resin for making a mold it will shrink some and be very hard to remove. Once the mold sets completely you should br able to flex the bumper enough to get the mold to release from the bumper. then just do the same process to the mold as you did to the bumper. This will be at little harder to seperate but you can cut and sand the two edges to get a good eye on the seam between the two pieces. Start with a good edge on a knife or something similar and the jus slowly work the two apart being careful not to mess up the face of your new peice. If you only want one make sure that you keep the sharp edge of your tool against the mold and not you new peice. You can attach your mold to the car if you want and make peice in place on the car but this would take a little experience to do and have come out right. Hope this helps.

· Junior Charter Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the advise. After spending more time looking at the back I think the original setup is probably best. Maybe bonding in some sort of louver will be a good idea since I am already using Shanes louvers in the diffuser and rear deck.

1,480 Posts
A better way of doing it is to use the plastic piece and flash a mold off of it. Make the piece out of fiberglass then bond it to the body.

Ron

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.