Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok y'all, please set me straight on this.

Got a call from a buddy asking if I wanted to attend a car show this weekend. Free access to the public but it costs $25 if you actually bring a car. Same thing every Saturday night in North Houston where they host a "nifty fifties" event where attendee's can look at cars for free but anyone who actually shows a car has to pay $5.

Am I the only one who has a problem with this? My FFR draws a crowd every time I stop for gas. A simple trip to a restaurant or a Home Depot results in my being surrounded by people asking questions and checking out the car. Why in the world would I pay someone to simply to allow me to "present" my car? It's not as though I got the car for free and need to pay back the privilege. In fact, after spending countless hours and $$ on building it I struggle to understand why I would need to pay people to see it when the simple act of stopping accomplishes the same thing.

What am I missing here? Perhaps its just a philosophical problem on my part so feel free to set me straight.....

· Registered
2,382 Posts
This is nuts. I have never paid for a cruise night.

· Registered
188 Posts
If the money I pay goes towards a worthy cause, I have no issues paying. If it just lines the organizers pockets then I don't attend.

· Super Moderator
29,393 Posts
Car shows typically cost something. The cost includes insurance, awards if any, and rental space to the property owner. I entered numerous car shows with my Roadster and never thought it to be a problem.

· Plodding Along
2,976 Posts
Around here, car shows (meaning those that give out trophys) usually charge anywhere from $5 to $20 per car. Cruise nights, on the other hand, never charge.

My wife takes her '67 Camaro to lots of the local cruise nights, but the only car show it goes to is one hosted by our local sheriff that is always for a good charitable cause.

· Charter Member
3,740 Posts
Car shows typically cost something. The cost includes insurance, awards if any, and rental space to the property owner. I entered numerous car shows with my Roadster and never thought it to be a problem.
Besides what 2FAST4U has mentioned, there might be security, electric for music and PA system, plaques/magnets (awards), and clean up of the lot afterwards in that $25 fee.

If you worried about the cost, go without the cobra and check it out.
Then next time you know what it's all about.

· Registered
567 Posts
If the money I pay goes towards a worthy cause, I have no issues paying. If it just lines the organizers pockets then I don't attend.
Most of the shows I see advertised that have a fee are to support some charitable cause. Those are the ones I attend.

· Registered
43 Posts
Yes, $25 seems like a lot. We have some local shows where it is free to enter your car, but there is a charge for spectators. To me, that seems like the right approach. Plus, it helps keep the spectators to those that are actually interested in seeing the cars. And that money can help pay for the insurance, entertainment, rental fees, etc. Plus, we spend enough money (and time, effort, etc.) on our cars just getting them ready for a show!

· Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Besides what 2FAST4U has mentioned, there might be security, electric for music and PA system, plaques/magnets (awards), and clean up of the lot afterwards in that $25 fee.

If you worried about the cost, go without the cobra and check it out.
Then next time you know what it's all about.
Charity I get. The dollar value isn't the issue for me. The issue is that I get absolutely no value out of sitting around watching people look at my car. Instead, I get the risk of having one of them scratch the paint as they lean over it, break the sidepipes when their kids step on them to see the engine compartment or pour liquids into it as they slosh the contents around while leaning over the interior.

Since the attendee's are the ones who get the benefit, they should be the ones to pay the entrance fee to cover the insurance, electricity etc.

· FFCobra Master Craftsman
4,199 Posts
Since the attendee's are the ones who get the benefit, they should be the ones to pay the entrance fee to cover the insurance, electricity etc.
For the local kind of car show you are talking about this would never work and would require gates etc to accomplish. The only place the public is going to pay would be in a large sponsored event in an arena.

· Registered
29 Posts
For the local kind of car show you are talking about this would never work and would require gates etc to accomplish. The only place the public is going to pay would be in a large sponsored event in an arena.
Hit the nail on the head there. that and more people will pay to compete. Showing off there work and competing for social bragging rights. than there are that would pay to just look and vote

· Cobra Nutcase
1,629 Posts
I have nothing to do with Niftee50ees other than attending, but here is what I have heard.

In regards to Niftee50ees, the $5 pays for liability insurance for the show and the two police officers that are there every Saturday night. From what I understand, Randy, who started Niftee50ees around 2004, had to get liability insurance otherwise whoever owns the kroger center would not allow us to have the event. For those who aren't aware, Niftee50ees is bigger than your typical cruise in, with 300-400 cars(all 1979 or older) on any given Saturday night. Last years Halloween show had 658 cars in the coned off area, with more spilling over into surrounding parking lots. I've often wondered myself how much of that money goes to the security and legalities, because that's $1,500-2,000 every Saturday night. Before Niftte50ees, most cruise-ins in the Houston area didn't last 6 months before they were kicked off the property, so they obviously worked out some sort of deal with the Stables(Kroger) Shopping Center. I think they also donate to Toys 4 Tots. It's going on 9 years now, so most people seem to be pretty happy with it, and it's definitely a family type surrounding.

From what I understand, the $25 car show this weekend is at a church, so I would hope that the money is going to a good cause.

Rob

· Blue Oval Scribe
9,175 Posts
Apparently none of you have ever put on your own event. Our Mustang club has been doing an annual show for 15 years, plus other smaller shows throughout the year. If you only knew the amount of time it takes (six to eight months of planning annually for that one day show you go to), plus insurance, tent rental, DJ costs, trophies (5-10 bucks each), barricade rental, printing of flyers (we do upwards of 5K flyers), printing of judging sheets/welcome pages, etc. There are numerous costs you don't see going into that one day venue that require a registration fee of $15-$25 to cover costs and the rest we use to support one major charity and two to three smaller charities, plus some of it becomes working capital for next year's show.

I'm on my way out the door right now at 6am to go volunteer at a big concours show today (not even bringing a car), but some shows even pay their staff, which is more costs.

I've never had to pay for a cruise night, but if I was asked to donate $5 to help pay for lighting rental or security, etc. I wouldn't flinch. I know what it takes to do these shows/cruises and if someone doesn't get off theri butts and initiate it and take the time, you'd have nowhere to take your car (other than your gas pump show).

I don't want to sound harsh, and maybe it's because it's early and this is a sore subject for me, because I put a LOT of effort into our shows and those that just show up, do nothing, and complain have no idea the months of work and planning involved.

Mark

· Junior Charter Member
1,396 Posts
A lot of good points in their Mark. Like most things in life, an event only gets done if someone (usually a small core group) actually does the work, and yes, everything costs money and more than most would think.

· Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
you'd have nowhere to take your car (other than your gas pump show).
Mark
Ok, I get it. It costs money, it takes time and if you want to play, you've got to pay but I have to address the comment around "nowhere to take your car" cuz I didn't build this for other people to enjoy, I built it for me to enjoy and in that context I have a billion miles of road in the US that my car has only started to experience so I have a lot of places to take my car.....

For those of you who built your cars to be show queens, clearly you should plan on ponying up extra dollars so that you have somewhere to take your car. Me, I think I will stick with taking it pretty much anywhere I want, anytime I want with anyone that I want and unless I see a good cause behind an event, I will use my cash to fill up my tank so that I can drive some more.

Thanks all for the insights!

· Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In re-reading my last post it seems more aggressive than I intended. Apologies as it was not meant to offend.

I guess where I am landing is that everyone builds their cars for different reasons. I HATE attention. It makes me cringe everytime and some of you will say "then why did you build a roadster?" to which I would answer "because I loved the FFR concept, I loved the vehicle design of the Cobra and I always wanted to build a car". I'm pretty happy with how it came out and for me, that is all that really matters. Before, during and after the build I had never even considered the concept of taking it to a show but now that it is done, others are "guiding me" in this direction so (given what I said above), I was trying to understand why I would want to do. The answer I am hearing is "sometimes it is for a good cause" which is a good answer and is one that would convince me to expose myself to something I don't enjoy. For others, where the only cause is to sit around and watch others watch my car, I think I will work to avoid the experience.

I get that y'all are different and different is good so thanks greatly for your insights and I hope that you enjoy the results of your efforts!

· Registered
695 Posts
Ok, I get it. It costs money, it takes time and if you want to play, you've got to pay but I have to address the comment around "nowhere to take your car" cuz I didn't build this for other people to enjoy, I built it for me to enjoy and in that context I have a billion miles of road in the US that my car has only started to experience so I have a lot of places to take my car.....

For those of you who built your cars to be show queens, clearly you should plan on ponying up extra dollars so that you have somewhere to take your car. Me, I think I will stick with taking it pretty much anywhere I want, anytime I want with anyone that I want and unless I see a good cause behind an event, I will use my cash to fill up my tank so that I can drive some more.

Thanks all for the insights!
You needn't feel apologetic for what you said. It makes perfect sense. No one should be offended by your point, that people love cars for many different reasons. And none should be expected to conform to the feelings of others.

I enjoy car shows - to a point. But I totally get it why some would not want to put their car in a show, for the exact reasons that have been mentioned by many above.

Even though car shows are fun, there is nothing better than meeting a guy with a nice car on the street, and getting to talk, one on one, about his car. The experience at a car show just isn't the same.

This has been a good discussion. Many good points. While it is more difficult to find a venue that makes it possible to charge admission, I really don't mind paying for one of them. No different that going to the movie, or any other entertainment that costs admission,

· Registered
6,092 Posts
For those of you who built your cars to be show queens...
You're right. A little harsh. I'm wrapping up the first year on the road with my Mk3. I attended 6-8 car shows (most had some type of admission) and a bunch of cruise nights. I enjoyed every one of them, and I will try to do more next year. My car turned out nice, and I enjoy taking it to shows and talking with enthusiasts. But I also put almost 1800 miles on it this season cruising and just having a great time. They are not mutually exclusive.

I was watching a Barrett-Jackson auction show they other day. There was a custom Corvette that they bragged the only miles were pushing it off and on the trailer at car shows. Now that's a show queen... :w00t:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.