Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I ran across this MKIII yesterday on CL and just got back from checking it out this morning.

1965 Cobra Factory Five Replica

Anyway, overall it looks well built. Having owned a cobra a few years back I was able to go over things and check out the basics. The body gaps could still use some tweaking to get it perfect but the car is currently still in primer.

From everything I see, the car is ready to go and only needs paint. 4 wheels disks (SN95 donor), 5 lug, engine has been rebuilt and converted to carb, A/c & Heat, aluminum radiator....not a lot of donor stuff other than the non-rebuilt T5 which shifts fine.

It's very clean overall as far as fit/finish. About the only thing it could benefit from is the interior carpet being redone and the headers has some slight surface rust on the primaries and the side pipes aren't perfect.

The owner who is also the builder said he'd take $21k, which is about what I was thinking I would offer him prior to looking at the car.

However, I know painting one of these cars can be expensive. I'm assuming I could get paint done for around $5k? which puts me at $26.

I watch the market and see painted cars sell for less but every car is different and there are so many variables that determine a cars value. Just a few months ago a full donor in my area sold for $27k so I'm thinking with nice, fresh paint this car could contend.

I would like to buy the car, but of course would prefer not to lose money if I have to sell later on. I'm trying not to talk myself out of this one but I would appreciate any honest opinions.

So at $21k what do you think?

·
Super Moderator
29,393 Posts
Grab it! Have Levy Racing in AZ paint it and you're good to go!

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,823 Posts
I usually charge between $5K-$6K depending on color and options.

·
Master Student
1,499 Posts
Grab it! Have Levy Racing in AZ paint it and you're good to go!
Yup, grab it. if you've checked it out and know what your looking for, the price seems good.

This is the part where you let your head rule your emotions and you will do fine.

Good Luck

·
Junior Charter Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Doug. I always seem to talk myself out of these things but ever since I sold my first cobra I have wanted another...

I think, even against my better judgment because I do not "need" another car, I will go forward with this one.

·
4,321 Posts
get it and take it to MACCO. get the best paint job available and then make sure the shop forman paints it after hours. It will come out good. for about half of what your are thinkg of spending.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Gordon did mine, and it came out really nice!

·
FFCobra Craftsman
25,959 Posts
I'd go back there w/ a cashiers check for $20,000 made out in the seller's name and ask if he will take it. I think that car is definately worth that and you won't go wrong. Drive it in primer and keep checking about painters for a year or so. I looked for 2 yrs for my paint and ended up w/ a great job for $3500. The guy also liked to do jobs and get his money so mine was only there 6 weeks. It could have been 5 but there was a compatibility issue when he sprayed his primer over the primer that the original builder had done mine with.

·
FFCobra Captain
11,721 Posts
Did you buy it yet? You should.

·
Junior Charter Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have not bought it yet. Im still doing some research as far as paint & wheel combos go. Im not too crazy about the wheels that are on it so Im trying to figure out where I want to be with the car overall and what its going to cost. Ill keep you guys posted.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
25,959 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.