174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please need advice will 30 gallon air compressor with LVLP spray gun be OK

Thanks

·
Junior Charter Member
768 Posts
You’ll need to define “ok”

I managed to primer my whole cobra with a 20gallon 120v compressor but it was far from ideal.
I had to stop several times to let the compressor catch up.
I’d spray the front 1/2, then take a break, back 1/2 then stop again, then doors, hood and trunk.
That was ok because the primer was getting sanded anyway.
I painted my mustang in high school the same way and it was good enough for a teenager.

For a show quality finish, especially with metallic colours I’d want way more air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Junior Charter Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi l like to buy 30 gallon air compressor l don't know if this will do the job or buy 60 gallon compressor but to buy one for one time us l looked to rent but can fined one,
the cheapest l can find 30 gallon for $750 and 60 gallon for $800 need advise.
Thanks SC210Ford

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
23,613 Posts
I agree. My 30 gallon worked well for the primer and years later well to spot paint a fender and a complete door on a friends car. I don't think it could keep up with spraying a FFR body and produce a quality result. You also need to make sure the air supply is dry.

It might work OK for a non metallic paint because if there was an issue while spraying, you could sand it out and re-coat the area.

·
Junior Charter Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Geg_M so l will buy the 60 gallon compressor I'm look to paint British racing green metallic or Black cherry metallic know strips hopefully it will work out. l will paint body on car and hood doors trunk off car as soon as winter is over it's just to cold.

·
23,613 Posts
Is the paint you plan to use base coat/clear coat or single stage? Do you have prior experience painting?

·
Junior Charter Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eastwood 4:1 Basecoat paint1 x Eastwood Low VOC Urethane Activator Qt and this is my first time painting
l'm absolutely new at this l don't know if this paint is single stage or is it 2K paint, yes it will by base coat and clear.
l am scared to S*** l need all the help l can get Thanks

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
CFS3 reflections P51

P-51 In the Clouds

Saw your BBD Avatar. Though you mite likes this. My team built this as part of a Microsoft Combat Sim III project.

Relax & enjoy the build.....there is always a chance for a do over. Am in the middle of one now.

·
Junior Charter Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi the reason l have to paint my car is absolutely know body shop will touch any job that is not a collision job they are looking for a quick repairs in and out. The quotes I've been getting to paint is absolutely crazy l have looked at over 10 body shop's l have called dozens of shop's and if l don't paint it myself l will have to dive my car in prime l have spent hundreds of hour's doing body work so far 3 gallons of body filler and l am so close to paint but now l can see ever finish, sometime l wish l never started the build but l am in to deep and l am not a quitter will keep on till in my grave. My dream will never die.

·
Junior Charter Member
768 Posts
Keep at it!

Just like any other part of the car, you can do it yourself but it will take longer to get the result a pro could do.

Metallics are really hard to spray consistently if you don’t know what your doing, I’d recommend a solid colour.
Put on lots of paint so you can sand and buff out the imperfections and any mistakes.

As an alternative, see if you can find a shop that will just paint it,
I did all the body work and brought just the body to the painter in primer and ready to paint. He wiped it down and sprayed the paint.
He did make me swear that any problems would be blamed on my bodywork and prep and I had to pay cash and no invoice.

·
Junior Charter Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hear that Acrylic lacquer or Acrylic Enamel is safer and easier and more forgiving they say any imperfections can be wet sanded cut and buffed out and clear-coated
l don't know is that the way to go "confused" anybody else can weigh much appreciated.
Thanks SC210Ford

·
Junior Charter Member
404 Posts
You really need to check your gun specs to see how many cfm of air it uses, then compare to the output of your compressor. FWIW I have a 60 gal compressor that is rated at 13.5 cfm at 90psi, will keep up but just barely, without having to stop ( my gun is rated at 13.4 cfm at 35psi at the gun).

edit: you cannot sand metallic basecoat regardless of type....so if you intend to spray the base you'll need a compressor to keep up.

·
23,613 Posts
If I were you, trying my first paint job at home, and I’ve been there, I would not attempt a metallic base/clear paint job with Home Depot level equipment and no booth. There are so many variables and unintended consequences. You get one shot at perfection and timing of coat application is critical. And as mentioned, if there’s a run , zebra stripes, or a bug in the metallic base coat, it’s a game changer.

I would be comfortable with a non metallic acrylic enamel paint, wet sanded smooth and top coated with a hardened urethane clear coat. Wet sand and buff that and it should look great.

I hope you are not setting up for an expensive disappointment.

·
Junior Charter Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi mcondos l have two guns will these do the be OK with 60 gallon compressor???
We can not buy Acrylic enamel in Canada
We can buy Dupli-Color lacquer is this OK cost 65.00 a quart 8x = 520.00 + 13% tax

Automotive paint list from US
Single stage basecoat:2 gallons 500.00
Activator: 2 quarts 60.00
Reducer: 1 quart 18.00
Clear coat: 2 gallons: 425.00
Activator: 2 quart: 60.00
Shipping and Duty: 225.00
Total 1;288.00 US Dollars
35% Exchange rate Total 1,738.80 CAD
l haven't found a supplier that will sell to no Tradesmen that goes for PPE Cup / liners / lids you can only find small and Medium sets 50 255.00

The Eastwood Concours LT100 HVLP Paint Gun Features:
Professional quality painting from a home compressor
Low CFM – requires just 4.5 CFM @ 30PSI
Great atomization & wide spray pattern
1.3mm base coat/clear coat nozzle included
Compatible with all types of coatings
Stainless internal passages & brass air cap
.5mm, 1.7mm, and 2.0mm nozzles available

DEVILBISSProfessional Spray Gun GTI mm LVLP England Gravity Feed Air Paint Spray Gun Set with 1.3mm nozzle,600cc cup for painting cars

Application:spray gun, automotive
spray gun auto spray gun /paint spray gun/used for car /vehicle painting/air tools spray gun
Air Connector: Universal G1 / 4
Watering can: 600ml plastic pots
Transmission efficiency (paint utilization): 65% -85%
Air consumption: 8.0-8.5 cfm
The amount of paint: 200-240ml / min
Spray width Length: about 250mm
Recommend spraying distance: 150mm-250mm
We recommend spraying pressure (working pressure): 2.0-2.5 bar
Nozzle diameter;1.3mm
Paint supply mode: Gravity

Thank you for all the help

·
Junior Charter Member
768 Posts
I painted a friends racecar with the Duplicolor Paintshop paint from Canadian Tire, I used a gravity feed gun and the friends 60gallon compressor.

It worked well for a home pint job,
I used way more paint than expected, almost twice what I had planned.

Paint gun I have -bought on sale

I used Champagne Gold found in clearance

Here’s the car
It really needs 5 more coats of clear and a sand and polish to get a proper gloss.

Paint is really bad for you so make sure you use the proper respirator, even for just one paint job.

·
Junior Charter Member
404 Posts
Sorry Big I don't have any experience with laquer. You might want to consider buying a small quantity of paint/clear to start, just to run a test panel to make sure everything is to your liking, before committing.

·
Charter Member
1,494 Posts
Just an off the wall idea. Maybe try a high school auto shop class. Expert supervision and the kids will work till it’s perfect. You pay for materials and maybe a donation when it’s done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just an off the wall idea. Maybe try a high school auto shop class. Expert supervision and the kids will work till it’s perfect. You pay for materials and maybe a donation when it’s done.
That's a great idea. My first street rod, a 40 Ford was painted by the Auto Body Technology class at my junior college. It cost me $87.50, for materials. That was in 1967 though.

To paint my 57 Chevy, I enrolled in the Auto Body Technology class, at night, and learned the skills, plus I had access to all the best equipment, including a paint booth, and I ended up with a Marina blue 57. It wasn't show quality, but it was pretty nice, until my girl friend, now my wife, ran into a fence post in her driveway, and knocked the left front fender off of it a few months later🙃🙃

1 - 18 of 18 Posts