Factory Five Racing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If i take the IRS from a supercoupe what do i now do for wheels? Does the SC still use the same 4 lug pattern as the GT? Can i use the front stuff from the SC also to keep it all matching? Is there anything else on the SC other the the rear that i should keep?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,717 Posts
You're going to get hubs with a 5 bolt 4-1/2" pattern. If you change over to Cobra hubs you'll get a 5 bolt 4-1/2" pattern which can be matched on the front by going to the 5 lug conversion from FMS. Make sure you get the flexible brake lines from the back of the Supercoupe as they are no longer available from Ford.

Ben

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok sounds good. What can i expect to have to replace when taking a junkyard high mile IRS?? About how much will parts cost?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was just reading on a SC site, they say the mustang used 4.5 spacing but the SC uses 4.25 spacing...

Also is wheel hop worse with the IRS???

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,717 Posts
YOu will need new hub bearings at the very least. They run $25 a side. You'll probably want to change out the gears. Those run from $150 to $250 a set. You'll need new poly bushing from VPS you can get the price from the forum. You'll also want to change out the pumpkin mounts with solid units from VPS. I also replace all bearing seals on the pumpkin. Plan on about $20 for those. BTW the only place you can get the pumpkin axle seals is from a FORD dealer.

Ben

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,021 Posts
you can also get the supercoupe hubs machined to the 5 on 4.5 pattern. The cobra hub just allready comes with that pattern. I would stick to the standard 5 on 4.5 pattern as you will have a much broader wheel selection.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ended up ordering the kit without the irs option. Doesnt sound like its worth the $$ for the performance increase. There are so many bolt on mods for the solid axle out there that you could get with the $2k, not to mention the extra donor/new parts.
thanks
Jeff

·
Senior Charter Member
1,966 Posts
Thanks for the informative posts above guys. My T-Bird SC rear suspension just arrived today from the salvage yard...good thing I told them to be very careful and not cut any of the brake lines. Also glad that I persisted until I finally found an SC in a local yard.

Anyway, I've got a T-Bird Chilton's manual on order, should be here in a couple of days. This sounds optimistic, but is the Chilton's detailed enough to walk one through the refurbishment of the pumpkin?

If not, what are some good web sites (SC I would imagine) that provides some detail on the clutchpak replacement?

Thanks,
Drew
FFR????

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Tim, would yo do that for me too?
I'm rebuilding the one I just got.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Cool, I like the meeting up idea.
If you want you can call me to coordinate
954-609-4398

Thanks!

·
Senior Charter Member
1,966 Posts
Tim,

Thanks a million! That will really help with the rebuild. Unfortunately, I'm just outside of Charlotte, NC, so stopping by is a little difficult due to the distance. But, I could really use a vacation to sunny south Florida...

Would you mind faxing or dropping copies in the mail to me? I'll send you an email with this information.

Thanks in advance and I'll pick up the torch and pass them along to the next needy FFR IRS builder.

Drew
FFR????

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.