Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Charter Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For someone like me who is going to have their car on the street 99% of the time and on the track maybe 1% of the time, is it really necessary to get the IRS over the new 3 link? Do most people not go with IRS because of the cost or because there is no real advantage unless at the track, or is it just personal prefrence? I am starting to purchase parts now (non-donor) and I am about at the point where I need to decide which way to go. Also, if I am not mistaken, I can bolt the Cobra brake kit right up to the solid axle with no modifications, right? Are the drive shafts that come with the Cobra kit the right length or do I have to get wheels with a different offset? Sorry for all the questions, I kept thinking of more as I was typing. Thanks!

·
Vendor
8,397 Posts
The 3 link is 95% as good as the IRS as far as handling is concerned. The IRS car will have higher resale.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I haven't ridden in a car with 3 link but I can tell you, there is definately a difference in ride quality with the IRS. You won't be displeased with the stock setup but if you drive 2 cars, one with IRS and one without, you'll notice how much smoother the ride is in the IRS car.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
My first FFR was a solid axle with all stock Mustang parts. My second car is an IRS and it is much smoother over bumpy roads. One could say the IRS is better suited for street duty.

Lately I have been driving though constructions areas that I would have avoided with the solid axle car.

craig
VPM

·
Banned
5,303 Posts
my car has been both live axle and IRS, LOTS of highways miles and LOTS of autocross. IRS rides better and is worth it in my opinion just for this on the street.

the reason why is the reduction of the ratio of unsprung to sprung weight. (i.e. the IRS has MUCH less unsprung weight) costs more though and add $500 plus several hours of fab work for sway bars if you are serious about handling.

-james

·
Charter Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I guess I will stick to the original plan and go for the IRS. My only real issue is trying to get the correct half shafts and Cobra brakes working with it... I know people have done this, what all is does it take to get this to work???

·
Vendor
8,397 Posts
John Lisman makes brackets to place 12" (maybe 13" but I don't remember) rotors on the rear using your existing calipers(which are the same as the Cobra). But to tell the truth, put some good pads (ie: Porterfield R4S, Carbotech Panthers)on the stock SN95 front and the stock Tbird rears and you will have ALL the brakes you need and about $2K in your pocket you didn't spend on Wilwoods, Brembo or Alcon.

·
Banned
5,303 Posts
i concur with wayne... ive got stock donor brakes front and rear with 275 size race-spec tires all around and i can lock them up (even with good, smooth technique) at will, even modulate them at threshold. panther pads.

my car has AWESOME brakes now.

-james

1 - 8 of 8 Posts