Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been a while since I posted but here goes. I have a 8.8 solid rear that was narrowed 2.5 inches per side to fit 17 inch 5 lug deep dish compomotive rims and SN95 calipers with Baer Eradispeed rotors. Would I need to go with different wheels if I converted to the IRS setup? Also can I use the calipers and rotors or are the IRS parts different? Does anyone know the two widths (Standard and pin drive) of the IRS setup wheel mount to wheel mount. Lots of questions. I did some searches but nothing was black and white.

·
2,332 Posts
What is the back spacing on the rims? If I remember correctly, the pin drive offset is 2.5" narrower than the standard with (59.5"). Depending on the caliper set up you have, they may or may not be usable. What was the brake set up designed to fit?

By the way, I too am in NY, the buffale are to be more specific. Where are you located?

-SGC

·
he who lives by the sword. gets shot by those who
2,847 Posts
Best to get the Cobra rear hubs (they have the 4.5" bolt circle already) stock T-Bird SC have a metric bolt pattern and won't give you many wheel choices.You could have Stu Spencer redrill your stock hubs,just an alternative. also, check with Richard Oben at North Race cars about the Cobra rear disc brake rotors and caliper brackets.gives you bigger brakes for the IRS. There is a Lot of earlier posts that go into detail about IRS and the specifics....

http://www.ffcars.com/FAQ/irs.html

This one has a lot of info on the subject.
Enjoy!
Ben Smith

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe the calpper brackets were for a cobra mustang and the calpers are sn95 parts. The cobra brackets were used because the baer rotors are larger than the sn95 rotors. As far as backspacing I will have to pull a wheel. I used to know this stuff off the top of my head but that was in 2000. What is the stock 8.8 width from a 1987-93 mustang?

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi Rich,
The 10.5 inch Mustang rotor will fit the T-bird knuckles. You'll nee a pair of brackets to install the 11.65" Cobra rotors if you are using them. Here's a parts list if you are needing anything for IRS;
New IRS 8.8 aluminum center assembly $1069
IRS CV shafts pr. $450.00 (will need FFR supplied shafts)
IRS knuckles $500.00
IRS 5 lug axle flanges $120.00pr
New calipers with pads $215.00
10.5" rotors
11.65" rotors
11.65" caliper adapter bracket w/hardware $89.00
IRS knuckle bushing kit $75.00
IRS 8.8 aluminum bushings $45.00
If you need anything, give me a call
Mike Forte

1 - 6 of 6 Posts