Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious,
How much can I expect to spend for the donor parts for the FFR IRS? Where should I look for new or used parts? Do junkyards commonly have parts from the thunderbirds, and does it have to be a thunderbird SC?
Thanks, Bret

·
Registered
177 Posts
Your easiest route is probably going with a tbird sc. Call the local junkyards for one. they run about $300 here in FL. I went with the lincoln MK VIII rearend, which is doable, but has an open diff and a lame 3.07 or3.08 gear. Then again, it was only $250 and aluminum. I used the cv joints and spindles but am selling the rear diff at the next swap meet I get to. I went with a new 99 mustang rear diff from 5 star ford. Call dan there - he may even have an even sweeter deal there next week with the ens of summer sale.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I spent $400 for the rear clip from a 93 SC. You need to be sure you get the one with the larger half shafts, I forgot the measurement but it is in the manual and you take measurement under the boot. The larger half shafts have the larger CV joints and thats what your after. I spent another $500 having all the parts rebuilt as needed i.e. new bearings,rotors, drilling for the relocated studs and coring out the calipers. Also got the poly spindle bushings from Vintage Performance. Good luck.

·
Charter Member
725 Posts
i spent $400 for a t-bird rear disc to disc. it's a 3.27 with traction lock. i intend to buy new bearings and cobra hubs. the assembly is largely metric and i think you'd be wise to pay attention to getting as much of the hardware as you can. i'd venture a guess that the mounting bolts (especially for the knuckles)are difficult to find.
regards

[ August 25, 2002, 11:24 PM: Message edited by: wickershaw ]

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
LSUcobra, do you already have a car or are you getting ready to build. Email me if you have any questions. I just moved my daughter to LSU last week.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts