Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed my driver side rear wheel is about an inch closer to the frame then the passenger side. Is this normal ?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Measure your control arms and make sure both are the same length. They do make the Pin drive option for the control arms and I believe they are about 1" narrower.
Are the wheels still plumb with the car? They would probably show some a very high degree of camber if they were the wrong ones.
Also check how far in the hind joints are in relation to the control arms. They should be about half way in/out for the initial mounting. Check to make sure they are about the same on both sides.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Keith, they're both the pin drive ones. The car has been aligned and it is perfect. If I move the short side hiem out will it put a load on the axel shafts ?

[ June 29, 2002, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: Tom D ]

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I assume they are the same length?
I'm at a loss here since I've got the standard IRS and not the PinDrive option...

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
Both sides should be equal. You can adjust it some with the Heim joints, unscrew all 3 equally to move the wheel outwards. You can only get 1/2 ,maybe 3/4" this way, though. The plunge joints will easliy allow this, they telescope through a lot of range of motion. You might need to move the opposite side "in" to get them equal.

Shouldn't be that far off, though, I wouldn't think. Maybe you have a bent spindle--I've heard that it's not unusual for them to be bent, not sure how you could measure to check, though.

HTH
Forrest

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
So? did you figure it out?
Just curious.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
4,481 Posts
One of mine was bent. When I checked around, one of the people I checked with was JBL Cobra. They have a jig to check them as they have experienced up to 50 % of them bent. :(

In my case, with the heims adjusted the same one tire was 1/2 " more inward toward the top than the other. Hope yours is ok. I have an extra one for the right side. G
ood luck.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found the driver side hiem to be threaded out more then the passenger side. The passenger side was also almost all the way in. I'm hoping I will be able to turn all three in on the driver side the same amount to bring in the spindle and hopefully keep the alignment on the money. I aligned the car about three weeks ago and had to redo it due to the recall. I hope I don't have to do it for a third time. Thanks, Tom

[ June 29, 2002, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: Tom D ]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts