Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Charter Member
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled the cover off the pumpkin and found a couple of nickle size pieces of thin metal(clutch plates?) and one dime size, what looks like a chip of the inner gears. It is not off the ring or pinion from what I can see. Is there a rebuild kit for the traction lock or am I stuck replacing the whole unit. I will tear it apart tomorrow and try to find whats broken.

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
The IRS 8.8 uses the same Trak Lock rebuild kit as the live axle 8.8. I think it uses slightly different spider gears, though. If the spider gears are broken, you may have a problem finding replacements. If you can't get them from the Ford dealer, you may have to get another center section to use for parts.
It's pretty common to find small beat up squares of metal laying in the bottom of an 8.8 pumpkin. They are probably the "ears" from the steel plates in the clutch pack. John

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,378 Posts
The t-loc rebuild kit is $45.

·
Charter Member
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does the rebuild kit include the spider gears or just clutch plates and seals?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,378 Posts
Just the clutch plates (friction and smooth).

axle seals and bearings are another kit.

Not sure where to get the spider gears.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Does sound like your seeing peices of the clutch plates that are worn down. The basic rebuild kit will come with new clutch paltes and shims as usually that is all thats needed to freshen up. Broken spiders would be noticable when rotateing the gears as the tips of the teeth will be gone.

·
5,559 Posts
The spider gears almost never need replacing unless it was run without oil. The metal you are seeing is just the tabs that retain the clutch plates to prevent them from turning. Unbolt the main caps, and set them aside in the exact orientation you removed them (you don't want to mix up the sides, and the arrows need to point outward). Same goes with the side shims, which are cast iron, so be careful when you put them back, because they can crack really easy if you tap them too hard. The shims are 2 different sizes, and need to stay on the side they came from. Use 2 large prybars, or screwdrivers, and pry against the case to pop the carrier assembly out. There is only (1) 8mm bolt that goes in the side to retain the big slide pin. Once that big pin is out, you can roll the gears around to the openings and reamove them. The rebuild kit comes with the factory stacking order, which works fine, or there is a performance stacking method which will require you to save 2 of your best old plates (not gouged, and with tabs in good shape). They need to be around .100 thick on the friction area to be worth saving.

hope this helps!
Brian

·
6,332 Posts
Using the alternate or high performance stacking sequence is highly recommended but requires additional frictions. You'll need to buy two kits from Max then just sell the leftovers, or you may find somebody on parts for sale with extras. Really improves the performance of the trac-loc with no adverse side effects like using the truck "S" spring does which is not recommended.
Here's a link that will help you with the rebuild.
Frank

·
Charter Member
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I removed everything from inside the pieces were part of clutch plates (tabs) and there was a chunk of metal that did come off the pinion gear. I called Mike at Cypress Auto salvage and with no questions asked is going to ship me another traction lock assembly with ring and pinion. great customer service, he has definately earned my repeat business. One other note is that I read Brians post too late and when I removed the caps and bolts that hold in the assenbly I was not paying that close of attention as to what side they were removed from. I am preety sure I put them back on the same side with arrows pointig out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts