Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am plugging along with my build, and have encountered a problem that I believe is commonplace. I am building an IRS rear with cobra brakes and cobra rotors. The parking brake cable barely fits, and it appears as if I am going to have problems with the cable rubbing against the CVs. Here are pictures of the driver and passenger side.

Cobra-0654 by akpingel, on Flickr

Cobra-0655 by akpingel, on Flickr

I have zip tied them through a stock hole on the knuckle, and there seems to still be the opportunity to rub. I was thinking about using some sort of hook or bolt through the threaded hole to pen the cable back. Has anyone tried this?

Also, I believe some folks flip the cable around???? Does anyone have any pictures of this method????

Also, I bent the Forte aluminum caliper mounting bracket on the driver's side by using too much torque. :D I think I am posting this for reference... and I think I will go with a steel bracket instead. Would a shim be OK here?

Cobra-0656 by akpingel, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
18,074 Posts
Also, I believe some folks flip the cable around???? Does anyone have any pictures of this method????
That'as what I did. But I don't seem to have any pictures of that. To retain the cable in the hole, I used a short bolt and drilled a hole through the center for the cable to pass through.

·
Premium Member
12,326 Posts
Just run the cable up the rear most tube on the LCA, run it along the top. The cable makes the bend just fine and then use ties or clamps along the top of that tube to hold it in place. Works great, mine is set up that way and functions perfectly. The cable stays about 3/4" away from the IRS shaft.

·
Premium Member
12,326 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. I am going to try to run the cable along the rear part of the LCA, but I believe the driver's side cable is not long enough for this...
The drivers side cable is plenty long for it. I did it on mine just fine and it reaches easily. I did mine different than Don, mine is actually on top of the rear LCA tube all the way, never goes under. I might be looking at his funny though and he might have done the same thing, hard to tell from the pic exactly.

·
Charter Member
7,902 Posts
I also put the end of the cable that fits in the caliper into the vice and squished it a little.

·
Premium Member
18,074 Posts
Mine looked pretty much the same as Rich's does. Pllenty of clearance, and worked fine.

·
Premium Member
12,326 Posts
I don't think those are Cobra calipers in the pics above. Mine are way different... I could be wrong, maybe a different year Cobra caliper?

·
We know what you're up to
4,700 Posts
Mine looked pretty much the same as Rich's does. Pllenty of clearance, and worked fine.
Well, at the time I had standard width IRS with 17 x 10.5" rims. I guess with pin drive width it is not an issue.

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
I don't think those are Cobra calipers in the pics above. Mine are way different... I could be wrong, maybe a different year Cobra caliper?
You are correct, those are not cobra calipers, but you should still be able to use the same method of routing the cable.
Don, not sure that would make a difference?

·
We know what you're up to
4,700 Posts
Don, not sure that would make a difference?
Let's just say with standard width and 6.7" backspace, it was so bad the wheel couldn't even get within 1" of meeting up with the hub without hitting the cable...and that was with 17" rims. And there was not a chance in hell it was going to bend out of the way for me. I think the calipers you have pictured may have put the cable at a bit more workable angle than the Cobra calipers that FFR supplied for me.

Anyway, that was my experience.

·
iBuild
5,824 Posts
Just looking over this thread again, Rich are you running pin drive width, they look like Pin drive arms, which means you would have less back spacing. The caliper is not as far inside the wheel as it would be on standard width wheels.

-Scott

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
My calipers are definitely different than Rich's. I looked at it very briefly tonight and it does look like the driver's side will fit no problem.
On my 6616 complete kit I got the same calipers you did, same problem. Looks like there a couple versions being supplied, I wish I had then ones Rich had...those fit alot better on the cable routing.

I drilled and tapped a hole in my hubs and used a Stainless Steel Fuel line clip, I would not use plastic if you plan on track days where that stuff is going to be smoking hot! Drop down then up through the triangles on the LCAs as in the second picture.

·
Out of Time
1,524 Posts
Good ideas on here re routing and stand-off to the IRS. Thanks.

I enlarged the mounting hole on a hose clamp and affixed to the knuckle bolt. I had to trim one hex off the stock F5 washer-nuts so that it would sit flush.

Works fine.

·
Premium Member
5,824 Posts
The ones in Rich's pic are a Lincoln or T-Bird 45mm caliper. Mustang (GT and Cobra) use a 38mm caliper. Here is a pic of one of each side by side. You can see the 45mm style uses what I call a 'reverse pull' e-brake attachment. The end of cable is fixed on the 45mm caliper, where the end of the cable pulls the actuator on the 38mm caliper):

I don't have IRS, but I believe it's possible to have either style installed on IRS provided you have the correct mounting brackets and rotors etc.

Sean

1 - 20 of 22 Posts