Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yippee, I got my IRS upper control arms so started to put rear together. Can't fit the TBird spindle arms into the FFR LCA. Same on both sides. The ears of the LCAs are the correct width, but arms are narrower than the spindle arms by about 3/8". Not even close enough for the BFH. I've searched the archives for an hour, but can't find solution. Anyone know?

·
The Never-Ending Builder
5,329 Posts
Pete,

Do you have the correct bushings in the Arms? Can you post any pictures?

Should look something like the ones below.

Here's some better pictures.

Hank

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
The mounting ears on the lower arms should be 2.5" inside to inside. Both lower mounting poinst are the same. The upper arm is a little wider. John

·
Slowest Builder in NY
455 Posts
3/8th seems a bit much, but you seem to be describing the problem where the ears do not provide an adequate space (they're too close). I understand this is a common problem. I had to spread the ears a bit to upper and lower control arms to get the spindle to fit.

If this is the problem you're having, take a look at my photobucket site for my spreading technique:

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h236/artcaley/Cobra%20Build/IRS%20Assembly/

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bushings are the stock TBird and look okay compared to your pictures. The ears of the LCA are 2.25" and so are the spindle bushings - no problem there. But the two inside ears are 5.62" (from inside to inside) and the bushings are 5.87" (from inside to inside. In other words, it appears that the LCA is 1/4" to narrow. I'll post a photo tomorrow that will show it better than I can explain.

·
Slowest Builder in NY
455 Posts
Oh brother, that's not an ear problem but an arm problem. Are you sure the bushings are orientated correctly?

Sound like you may have to contact FFR for that one.

Let's see your pics and I'll double check the spacing on mine.

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's a photo. I realize that I should replece the bushings. After all, the spindle is from a 1990 TBird - 17 years old. However, unless new bushings are much different in size, it looks like I'll still have a fit problem.
:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Opps photo didn't post. How's this?

·
The Never-Ending Builder
5,329 Posts
Call FFR, those won't work! Might send them the picture also.

Hank

·
221 Posts
We have the same issue.
We mounted the spindle to the lower control arm before the upper.
Some gentle persuasion is all it took.
Take a look at the outside dimensions as you did with the inside.
I think you will find the outside is a bit tight, a couple of thousandths and the inside as you measured, requires either a shim or bending the “ears”.

We’ll get a photo up tonight.

-Bill and Kurt

·
221 Posts
AZPete,

Our inside dimensions are about the same as yours for the spindle and control arm.

The "gap" noted in the pic below is on the inside of both the front and rear lower control arm to spindle mounting points. The outside is tight.

Hope this helps.

-Bill and Kurt

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Problem solved. BB & Art Caley said bend the LCA ears, but Hankl said call FFR. Both opinions are correct. I sent pics to FFR and reply was to gently bend the LCA ears. With a long threaded rod, washers and nuts I spread just the outer ears (each an equal amount) and the spindle is now installed.
Thanks guys!

·
Slowest Builder in NY
455 Posts
I recommended the rod with shims, washers and nuts, because the bend will take place in a more controlled, symmetrical fashion. Just sticking a long screw driver or pry bar in the ear hole could cause a twisting.

One other point is that I have found other uses for the donor steering rack nuts, washers and bolts. I did this ear spreading with them and also removed/installed the IRS spindle bushings with them. So I say don't throw these guys out (even though the kit gives you new steering rack hardware)!

Glad to here you worked it out AZPete - two cheers!!

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Art, good tip. I'm not throwing anything out until I'm done! For the IRS LCAs I needed to bend the outer ears out without bending the inner ears so I used a long threaded rod w/ washers and nuts to go from outer to outer, through the inner ears. That way, each outer ear was deflected the same amount and the inner ears were not moved. And . . . FFR responded quickly and thoroughly to this minor problem. You'll hear no complaint from me about such a responsive company.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts