Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bolt (on one side) of the lower control arm that holds the bottom of the shock will not meet the bracket because the weld is too close to the hole. Can I just torque it down? Other options that I can think of would be cut off about 1/3 of a washer to look like a "D" or grind down the weld (I really don't want to do this option). What should I do?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

·
Gelcoat Driving Maniac!
4,373 Posts
Sorry Paul, I can't help, but I foresee posts coming that say something to the effect of "Pictures....." so you may want to get some if possible.

·
Charter Member
4,001 Posts
I just went out and looked at my IRS to see what you might be encountering.
The bracket /washer is a close fit and I suppose with manufacturing tolerances there can be times where the hole is a little too close to get a washer in there.
Grinding a washer a little to get it to fit is probably OK if you first check to be sure the opposite side has same the dimensions from the weld to the hole ,otherwise your bolt may be at an angle to the shock,which is not good.
If you feel that the bracket was not welded correctly or is not in the correct position,shoot a picture and contact F5's customer support (probably Jesper Ingerslev) to see if they have a remedy.
F5 is not perfect , but they have always solved any problems I've encountered with their chassis or parts.
HTH
Paul M.

·
Charter Member
584 Posts
A couple options;

1. You can grind out some of the weld bead. (Thats what I did)

2. get a longer bolt & use a spacer between the nut & the mount.

3. or like Cannonball Cobra said, give FFR a call and see what they say.

HTH

Mark

·
Banned
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses (as always). FFR reply was to grind the weld, which I just did. Applied a little paint to cover the bare spot and ready to move on. I couldn't live without this forum.

Thanks again.

Paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.