Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Charter Member
Joined
·
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not a happy camper. It appears that I have developed a leak from my IRS and it’s still just a roller! As best I can tell it appears to be weeping from dead center of the pumpkin from what appears to be the gasket material. Car is leaving about a nickel sized puddle. Had not really noticed until recently when we started moving the rear wheels around more during the linking of the driveshaft to the trans. I imagine it will only get worse when we actually start to drive it. Any thoughts on what may be causing the leak? Can it be resolved easily without taking the whole rear end apart? Not going to start
slamming
anyone yet, but suffice to say I have been pretty disappointed with the vendor who supplied the components. :mad:

Cheers,
 

·
drmcat
Joined
·
596 Posts
Paul,

I rebuilt mine myself, and all I can think after the struggle to get it in is "If this leaks I'm gonna J-B weld around the entire thing".

I assume you've crank the cover bolts a little tighter.

Actually, if you remove the cover bolts and the two pumpkin mounting bolts, can you slide it forward just enough to scrape the old gasket and slip in a new one? You'd have to split the new gasket to got it in, but might be ok if you split it at the top and used lots of silicone.

mike
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,698 Posts
Paul, had the same thing happen to mine. I didn't use a gasket, just a bead of RTV. When I pulled the pumpkin out to fix the leak, I didn't spill a drop. Can't say the same for re installing it, though. After it's out, stand the pumpkin on its nose, clean the mating surface using brake cleaner, let the surface dry and clean it again. Same thing with the cover. I used gray RTV, but black can be used also. Spread a 1/4" bead on the pumpkin surface, let it sit for about 15 minutes, then assemble. Don't torque the bolts yet, in act, leave the cover with about 1/16" clearance. Put it aside, being careful not to let oil get on the RTV. I let it continue to dry over night, without final torquing until the next day. After final torquing, let it sit for a couple of days to insure the RTV has fully cured before you reinstall it. You don't want the diff lube to get on the uncured RTV. John
 

·
Charter Member
Joined
·
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mike and John.

I will first check the bolts and then go the RTV route.

Cheers,
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top