Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a related topic yesterday, with lots of references to properly supporting the spindle when pressing out bearings. How do you guys support the spindle when pressing out the hub? I have a press....just don't want to bend the legs!

Thanks!

·
Junior Charter Member
791 Posts
I took them to a shop and paid the <$50 to have them both done, don't have a press but I believe they used a cylindrical spacer, like a piece of short pipe that was the diameter of the spindle shoulder so that the bearing could drop through the center while the entire surround is supported by a flat matching surface.
I just reread your title, if you're talking about the hub with the studs in it, I pressed this out myself with the stud method below, rented a 3 prong puller also, but I left the bearing removal/ install to a shop. I'll try to email you the pics of my hub removal.

I did do the bushing removal myself with some threaded rod/ washers/ nuts, found the idea here, just kept turning the nut until the washer pushed the bushing out slowly, same short pipe idea on the other side to support the arm and let the bushing slide out.
HTH Jon

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I used a couple of 1/2" x 3" bar stock about 8 inches log each and placed them just outside the bearing housing. You will not be able to have the bars run parallel to each other, but as long as you have support at opposing points you will be fine.

You can call me if you'd like.
510-299-0950, Robert

·
Junior Charter Member
49 Posts
the most important thing is to heat the housing a little with pressure onthe bearing .mine released at about 6 ton with heat .Iwas getting nowhere without the heat. support the housing near the bearing not on the arms.

tom

·
Senior Charter Member
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot, guys!!!!

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
I used a 3" pipe coupling to support the area around the bearing recess. Worked like a charm.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,626 Posts
Pipe coupling and heat are the way to go. It will still probably scare/surprise you when it lets go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts