Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tried pushing the hubs out of the bearing in the knuckle with a home shop press. And if so, how many ton press does it take to get the hub out.
I have the right fixtures to support and press, but do not know if press is big enough and I am a little leary about trying until I get some feed back from you guys.

Thanks
first time builder

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
I did it with a 3 jaw puller but it was a serious struggle. You should be able to do it easily with a shop press. Just make sure to only push on the hub and not the bearing and support the knuckle properly.
Same on the bearing, only push on the bearing and support under the knuckle with something that won't put stress on the knuckle. I used a 3" rigid coupling under the knuckle when removing the bearing.

·
Gelcoat Driving Maniac!
4,373 Posts
I was also able to push the hub out of the knuckle using a 3 jaw puller. Both of mine came out easy. I then tried to push the bearing out of the hub with a puller and ended up breaking the puller. I went and bought a 20 ton press from Harbor Freight (which is on sale right now for $190) and the bearings popped right out.

I don't think the 20 ton press was necessary, as 12 ton probably would have done fine, but they were out of stock and I wanted to get it done. Here's the one that I was looking for when I went. I believe it is also on sale right now for about $120, though the website does not reflect it. It actually feels like a pretty reliable piece of equipment. It's very solid and I've used it a couple of times now.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=33497

Here's the 20 Ton

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=32879

·
The Never-Ending Builder
5,329 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.