Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cruising through a magazine, and came across a Steeda add for a differential brace. So I went to the web site and looked at the part a litle more closely.

http://www.steeda.com/PR/Products/555-8118/555-8118.htm

This could be just the thing for our cars. The Superformance cars use the same differential, but all alum. And they have been well known for breakage, that's their achilles heel. Since we use the same part, this is a potential problem.

I sent Steeda a message, asking if this will fit. I suspect that it does. If so, I will be ordering one, I think. Probably a real pain to install now that the car is almost finished. I can see that some grinding is required. But if it keeps my diff from exploding, it will be worth it.

·
Junior Charter Member
719 Posts
Technical Foul!! Sergio is penalized 10 posts for scaring the $hi+ out of another forum member and causing him to spend additional money :D .

That is a very frightening shot. I'll be calling Steeda today. And I thought the irs was, at least, one part of my build that was complete :rolleyes: . Thanks for the heads-up guys.

Matt

·
5,559 Posts
I'm not saying it can't happen in our cars... but, I suspect that the rubber mounting arrangement has a lot to do with this failure in other cars. If the front and rear are solid mounted, I think it is less likely to happen. I can see this happening to builders that use the stock rubber mounts in the front with a solid mounted rear, though...

Brian

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
Here we go again. I have a solid front mount. What the hell, I am ordering one, based on the premise that I am defenseless when it comes to adding just one more thing to make it better. Car is coming today. Why install after the fact......

Axiom: Those of us who worship at the feet of the forum shall go over budget.....

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :cool:

·
Premium Member
17,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I'll be calling Steeda this week.

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
Ok we have had 0 problems with the IRS. I have customers running 10s (10.87) and 11s (11.34) with no problems. The only problems I have heard of is the occasional shaft breaking. There is another replica using the same housing and they were breaking axles and not the centers. Remember, the car is almost half the weight of an 03 Mustang. HTH, Cheers Richard.

·
Premium Member
9,689 Posts
One thing about the rear center section reinforcement if used on a FFR chassis, the "ears" on the chassis that bolt to the rear end cover are spaced apart just enough to allow the casting to be captured. By adding the steel support, you will have to bend the ears further apart to allow for the thickness of the support. It may also induce stress in the casting from the steel support, if everything is not lined up exactly. It will probably work on a Mustang, but they use a different rear mount design.

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
The hole is there.

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
I think the reinforcement goes on the outside of the ears. No bending is necesary.

·
SuperCobra 1
14,690 Posts
as many here had said, I don't think it can happen in our cars being so light, it was just another part that fits in the "What if I end up with a 700 HP engine in the future" Category, which I intend at some point in the future (If funds allow) to accomplish... 700 HP that is....

By looking at the image from Steeda, that part would be more dificcult to grind, the part from Billetflow that I have is more sturdy and has quite some meat to remove while grinding. unfortunately seems Billetflow is making another batch and are out of them right now....

·
1,569 Posts
Seems like a waste to me as well. I don't care if you have 700 HP or 7000 HP; if you can only get 350 HP to the ground, that's the stress limit of the rearend. I'll take a guess that these things get broken from popping the clutch and drag racing more often than simply driving the car.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
2 Questions and one comment.

Who has broken a center section that WE know?

Is the brace an excuse not to drive your FFR or merely another $ignture line item?

Comment. I spent 30 minutes Saturday in a new 392 stroker, aluminum center section FFR on new Hoosier slicks. Nothing broke and I got tired.

Roger

·
Registered
839 Posts
$165.00 + shipping

That is more than half the price of my entire IRS

1 - 20 of 27 Posts