Factory Five Racing Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
HighTech Redneck
619 Posts
I'd say rectangular, or even trapezoidal, but I'd never say this is a "round cross-section", certainly not on the outside edge, where the business happens.

-Kyle

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,705 Posts
I admit that I have never looked at a T-Bird stub axle. But the 2015 Mustang and every other IRS stub axle I have worked on had a round cross section spring clip. The pic Kyle just posted sure looks like it would be hard to remove even w/ the proper tapered gear.

·
HighTech Redneck
619 Posts
Every T-Bird/MkVIII stub axle that I've seen through all of the "my axles won't lock in" and "my axle popped out" threads have all had the same hard-edged clips.

Kyle

·
Registered
396 Posts
Steve look at the 2 pics in post 25. See the surface of the gear right where the splines end is at a 90 deg angle to the axle. Now go to the bottom pic in post 22. See how Kyle ground that area to a taper. The gear in post 25 would be used in a solid axle 8.8 diff. The axle would be pushed inward so you could see the groove in the splined area and a big flat c-clip slid into place. Like this.
Then the axle is pulled outward until the clip stops it's movement. Same on the other axle. Then the big pin is inserted in between the ends of the axles to hold them in that outward position. On the IRS stub axle the c-clip is replaced w/ a round cross section spring clip. As you shove the stub into the diff, the taper on the outer side of the gear compresses it. When it gets to the area where Kyle ground a taper it pops open. In the solid axle car that c-clip is all that keeps the axle from being pulled out of the diff when cornering (the axle on the inside of the corner). On the IRS car the axle doesn't have any pulling or pushing forces on it when cornering so all it needs is the location provided by a spring clip to keep it in position.
Ah!! The light bulb came on!! Thanks.?

I have an IRS pumpkin from Gordon as I mentioned before. Per recent comments, "my axles wouldn't lock in". Gordon told me to grind a little off the end of each shaft. I did, and they locked right in. I didn't grind off much at all.

·
Senior Charter Member
536 Posts
Karl I had a similar issue with the spider gears being for solid axle and not irs. I reported on my experience here: IRS axle issue
I took the gears to the local machine shop to have the groove made. The clips I used seem similar to the ones you showed. Hope that helps. Good luck!

·
Senior Charter Member
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
Well now that I’ve had time, I ordered a Detroit Truetrac from Mike Forte to replace the Carrier, and some new axle seals. I took it to a guy who does this for a living and asked him to move the gears and make it right. He took it apart and called me and said the gears are shot! You should replace them, and this wasn’t set up right, the wear on the gears is wrong.
There’s 300 miles on it ! Or I was ripped off by the Vendor mentioned earlier on in my post, it was Not Mike Forte.
4945D8C5-092D-4FD6-92A1-363371BAD8CF.jpeg

·
Senior Charter Member
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
I'd say rectangular, or even trapezoidal, but I'd never say this is a "round cross-section", certainly not on the outside edge, where the business happens.

-Kyle
View attachment 357530
Thanks Kyle,
this photo shows the clips that were on the FFR axles and the clips that Mike Forte sent me. The new one is definitely rounder.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Karl - bummer!:( I have 10k miles on my IRS from Gordon - guess I'm lucky. Did Gordon offer to compensate you for this issue?

41 - 49 of 49 Posts