Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thougt I would pass on what took me two days to figure out. The boots supplied with the kit in my case worked for one side only. The supplied clamps suck. I spent hours trying to make them work. I figured there had to be a way. Fast foward two days later. I went to napa and got band-it clamps. About a buck each. The knuckle head at napa tried to sell me a cv clamp tool. I looked at it and knew there was no way it would tighten it up. I went home did a search for Band-it clamp tool. I found Autozone had one and printed out the part # and went to Autozone. They told me the didn't have a band-it clamp tool. I then gave them the part # and they got it from the back. It said band-it camp tool on the box. I thought maybe they had the clamps also. The guy said we only have these. (He took me to a back shelf) And sure enough they did. Two days eariler I asked someone at that store and he said no. The clamps at Napa looked better. use Autozones free tool rental. With the tool it took about 30 seconds each and worked great.
I hope this saves someone the agony I went through for a simple part.
Paul

·
Registered
839 Posts
Great going! Would you feel like sharing the part numbers and the bands and tools?

·
5,559 Posts
You do have to be careful with the band-it clamps - they will snap very easy if you crank them too tight! Don't ask me how I know... :rolleyes:

·
Charter Member
1,402 Posts
Zulu, can you give me more details on the universal clamps at Napa and how to install them with pliers?

I have one of the clamps that came with the kit that didn't get tight enough and it leaks a bit. I've tried to tighten it more but the tab dohicky is as tight as it will go. I've been trying to figure out what to do and I think this is what I need.

Thanks,
Bret

·
Senior Charter Member
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Zulu,
It would be great if you had a part #. I would be afraid of overtightening the clamp because it would cut the boot. I'm finding that the help at autoparts stores is not what it used to be. They can hardly find anyting that is not the norm. I'll see if I can dig up the #'s. I also will look for the pictures I took using the clamp and tool.
Paul

·
Senior Charter Member
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here You go.

I updated this post since the picture post tool is dead.

[ August 14, 2005, 02:30 AM: Message edited by: Paul Westerbeck ]

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Thanks alot Paul!
Like Bret, mine are not tight enough and they ooze a bit too.
Going to see if I can get that tool and redo them. You have to be a three handed monkey to pull tight with pliers and lock it down, all at the sametime.

·
Senior Charter Member
536 Posts
Paul that is great. Thanks!

·
Charter Member
1,402 Posts
That's great. Thanks for the cool pictures. Zulu, how did you do that with a simple set of pliers and get it reasonably tight? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Wonder if a "Key" like on the old sardine cans would work? Just roll it up tight!

·
7,134 Posts
I thought I might have pics, but do not , it was a long time ago. I think we used big needle nose and just rolled it back, I certainly did not have that fancy tool. It was two of working on it, but too far back to really remember ... sorry.

3 have been no issue, one leaks a tad , just a little grease on the inner rim. I guess next time i work on rear end I will look at it.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,253 Posts
I had no idea there was a tool to be used with those....duh!!!! Probably makes it a lot easier...I may go redo mine tonight since it's leaking again!!!

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,253 Posts
As far as autoparts store help goes...knowledge is pretty thin. I have been told on several occasion.."no, we don't carry anything like that" they wander off, I look it up in the computer and have them go fetch it with the part # I just found. They usually don't like it too much, but tough!!!! What do you expect for $5/hour...if you want some neon wiper blades, they'll hook ya up though!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts