Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at an IRS this weekend. The salvage yard is unsure what type of thunderbird the IRS came out of. All he knows is that the IRS unit is 2.73 Locking. I and am unsure of the method to verify if the Axles/CV joint are correct. As far as the method for measuring the axle diameter, I have read two different methods 1) Measure the shaft OD under the CV joint boot or 2) Measure the shaft OD anywhere along the shaft between the CV and spindle Boots. What ever method, the diameter should be 1.2". What are your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Gara

·
Senior Charter Member
328 Posts
I believe if it's an 8.8 unit the axle size will not matter. Under the boot they have the same spline in to the CV's. I looked at a lot of t-bird rears in the bone yards (SC's, V8's, cougar XR7's) and never saw an 8.8 that would not work. If it's a 2.73 locking diff, then it's got to be an 8.8. I might be wrong on this, but it seems to me either I or someone else would have found an 8.8 with the wrong CV's by now and I've never heard of anyone doing so.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Mine were 1.2" under the boot. They were less than that between the CVs and worked out fine.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Mine was the same as John's. 1.2" under the boot. Actually, I could see where it was necked down just outside the boot. Between the 2 boots, it was slightly less than 1.2" diameter.

Buddy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts