Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is a good place to start from?
I know 1/2' threads showing on rod ends, but I'm talking about locating the arms forward and backwards. Should I center it and start from there?
What is you spacer percentage as far as forward and backwards?

·
ff cobra master craftsman
2,782 Posts
i dont know if any two cars are the same, i have read diff shim amounts on different cars.
i just have my car on jackstands but on mine i
have on the front heim joint 3 in the front and 4
on the rear and on the rear heim joint 2 on the front and 6 on the rear.

·
5,573 Posts
you will have them off so many times during alignment I would just eyeball it and be done. All cars are going to be a bit different anyway when you are talking about very fine adjustments such as this. I used the published string and outrigger process for alignment and I can't count how many times I messed with the shims.

·
Charter Member
114 Posts
I agree with Chuck, I used the procedure in FFR FAQ; "Do it yourself alignment article by Forrest Allen". I spent 2 days doing this and a day & a half was spent on the rear IRS the front was a breeze.
Steve

·
Premium Member
9,689 Posts
I set the chassis on jack stands, ran plumb bob lines to the floor and made reference marks on the floor at the centerline of the front spindles and rear axles. I wanted to shoot for an exact 90" wheel base, and on my car, it took five shimms on the front side of the front lower Heim joint. I them measured the right side, and it also used five. I then pulled it all apart and made a couple of spacers the exact same thickness as five shimms. This is alot easer to manage than the five individual shimms. The rest of the shimms are there to simply take up space between the Heim joints and the mounting tabs. After the wheel base is set and equal on both sides, you can start with the alignment, using the outrigger and string method.

·
6,305 Posts
I started with the base settings for shim placement as shown in the build manual. After that, I followed Forrest Allen's step by step guide and highly recommend that procedure. Worked out great.
Frank

1 - 6 of 6 Posts