Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to use a simple reostat(sp) seperate from the head light switch, to control my dash light brightness, could'nt find anything I liked at NAPA, All suggestions for a source appreciated

·
Charter Member
126 Posts
You could try Radio Shack but I think you're going to need a high power rheostat so you might have to go to an electronic parts store. You need the higher power because you will have up to six (or more) incandescent lamps, with lots of inrush current, paralleled together. A couple of online stores to try are Allied Electronics (www.alliedelec.com) or Digikey (www.digikey.com). Good luck.

- Tork

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,684 Posts
The high capacity rheostats are a little expensive.
I just mounted the stock Mustang dimmer switch up under the dash.
There was a thread on this a week or so ago.
Good Luck,

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
Another reason not to throw unlisted donor parts away. I am going with the stock Mustang device. Ugly and solid, but hidden.

·
8,350 Posts
I was part of last weeks thread on this; I then installed the donor dimmer on the back side of the 2X2 to the left of the steering wheel with velcro; hidden and works great.

The original post was from 4/28.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,784 Posts
All,
The Mustang dimmer unit is a high-wattage rheostat packaged horizontally with an aluminum heat sink.
Best regards,
Chuck

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, I read the post from last week,and thats what got me thinking about the subject. Of course my donor is long gone so thats out. Any other ideas?

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,806 Posts
The 25W rheostat at the above link will be at or above it's rated value. I just checked into this stuff for a forum member a couple of weeks ago. Each of the bulbs which came in my SW gauges draw a bit more than .30 amps at 12 volts. So, if you have seven bulbs that's a total of more than 2.10 amps. Multiply volts by amps to get watts. That's at least 25.2 watts.

·
"Senior"
1,123 Posts
I've owned a couple of Toyota pickups and they use a standalone rheostat to control the dash lights (maybe other ricers also). Should be cheap in the local bone yards.
JimmyZ

1 - 10 of 10 Posts