Factory Five Racing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two questions I hoped you could help with

1. I have seen many people use a relatively thin silver insulation applied to the inner side of the interior panels. Where can I get this product and how is it attached.

2. Is there weatherstripping for the trunk, hood an door sills?

Thanks Rob

· Registered
501 Posts
The silver tape you speak of is "foil tape" it is commonly used for a/c ducting and can be found at the home depot or lowe's in the duct work isle.

The weather stripping for the doors and such should have come with your kit.
If not there are many types at the same stores. You can use the foam stripping in conjuntion with the rubber spacers supplied with the kit if you have to.
I used the rubber spacers to lift panels that do not line up correctly then used the weather stripping to fill in the gaps around the hood, trunk, etc.

Rick

· Premium Member
8,267 Posts
Rob, there are a couple of different insulations that have silver backings. The most common is the foil backed shredded cloth stuff thats glued on and can be found at places like Pep Boys, car shows etc.
The second is stuff called Road Kill or Dynamatt, it's a thin, dense sound deadning material, Summit carries it among other places. It is self sticking and not cheap.

Get the good weather stripping from Press, he sells enough to do the whole car for $35

· Registered
860 Posts
I'll be starting off with the $250.00 mega pack of Dynamat and going up from there...may add 10-15 pounds to the car, but the insulation, sound deadening and padding will be well worth it.

Almost every panel I can get my hands on will be dynamat-ed

hehehe

Neill

· Registered
337 Posts
There is some stuff sold through McMaster Carr that is suposed to be the same as Dynamatt, but like 1/4 the cost. It is called polymeric mastic if I remember correctly. I have not seen it, but someone on here used it.

I used the J.C. Whitney foil backed insulation and foil tape. I also used the J.C. Whitney glue because it is not flammable and it was cheaper than 3M. I do not know if the flamability is an issue after it dries or not. I used the 3M glue for the carpet and it does stick better. You had better have the carpet exactly where you want it when you lay it down, because there is no moving it with the 3M glue.

· Senior Charter Member
1,151 Posts
I used a plastic bubble material with foil backing on both sides that is normally used for homes. Used the carpet pieces as templates and put it down with 3M Super77 spray adhesive, sealed the joints with foil tape. Use the same adhesive to put the carpet over it. It works fine for heat and sound. 1 roll 24" wide, 1 roll 12" wide, 1 roll of foil tape, 3 cans of adhesive. Total around $82. Got it all at Lowes. Take Your time, it's not bad at all and the spray glue wipes right off with mineral spirits. Tom

· FFCobra Craftsman
1,021 Posts
I picked up stuff at Homedepot it was made for waterheaters and has the foil backing. it also came with the foil tape, I used two rolls but did not do the rear cockpit wall.

I wanted a more plush feeling and heat insulation. Without a top There is no noise louder than the wind, so to me sound deadening was not an issue.

· Senior Charter Member
1,526 Posts
McMaster Carr's Polymeric Mastic is definately the way to go. I used 5 sheets of it in my Mustang and saved a bunch of $ over using Dynomat. It is exactly the same stuff without the silscreened Dynamat logo.

· Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the help guys, as is usual one of the posts and picture has spawned another guestion.

Tom, I noticed in the picture that you used SW guages, what was your source and what mods did you make to the aluminium dash to fit the 3 3/8 in guage v. the 4 in. rob

· Registered
635 Posts
Rob, I'm using the SW gauges also. Just order the dash with out holes and use a fly cutter to drill the holes. It's pretty easy.

That being said I don't recommend the SW gauges. Maybe I just got some bad ones but they don't seem very accurate. And I had trouble with some of them. Granted I bought them "used" but they were supposedly never actually run. I had to replace the tach and oil pressure and I'm pretty sure the oil temp is not working. The tach is SLOW. My rev limiter is set at 5500 rpm and according to the tach it's kicking in at 5000 rpm. I'm betting the tach is either off or too slow to keep up. I'd get Autometers if I had it to do over again (I may get to do it again). :( Just my thoughts.

· Registered
1,263 Posts
I have a "tweener" kit with the driver footbox protection. How are you guys treating that area with carpet? I'm thinking of just running the carpet in the footbox and leaving the frame exposed? I'm also concerned about the reduced size of the footbox once all that insulation is added to the inside, with the footbox protection it's pretty tight already! :(
Brian

· Senior Charter Member
288 Posts
I'm still here and I have plenty of weatherstrip on hand, acually about 8 rolls at the old $35.00 the next load will be $40.00 the shipping and stripping both went up. Also have trunk lift kits and the new Raydot mirror brackets. Thanks, Press FFR 1263

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.