·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,253 Posts
They have a hard time keeping on topic over there... :rolleyes:
Porsches MUST be very exciting... :D

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,333 Posts
Ha, ha...gotta love it. I am a 'serious' Porschephile, going back more than 20 years, and have owned 12 P-cars of various types over the years. I am a founder of the local GPX region of PCA and was also the Zone 8 Porsche Club 'Enthusiast of the Year in 1995. My p-car friends constantly tease me, call me "Arnold" (as in "Benedict"), etc...

I have noticed that the 'wine and cheese' P-car owners (the social club and concours types) feel that Cobras and similiar are 10-minute wonders, too noisy, uncomfortable, etc.. and rag us. On the other hand, 'my' type - the lunatic fringe P-car owner who races, time-trials, isn't afraid to modify like crazy, etc. are all in favor (maybe a bit jealous even) of Cobra replicas.

Can't wait to take FFR #3440 to a PCA event...should be fun! Then again, having Cobra-like performance in a quiet cabin with AC and a decent stereo isn't too shabby, either. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
101 Posts
A topic I can chime in on. I've currently got my 1990 C2 for sale so I can order a FFR. The Porsche is a great car, but since I only use it as a weekend toy, I figure why not get something that'll deliver a truly "raw" driving experience. Plus after looking into the prices for 5.0 mods, the FFR seems like a bargain.
Clutch change on my 911..$2000. That's not including a new flywheel which would have been another $800. For that money I could have done a clutch on the 5.0 plus a whole lot of other stuff too.
My car is 247 hp. When I hear about the $$$ that the Porsche guys spend to get their C2 engines to 275, maybe 280, it's crazy. When I found this forum, guys were talking about taking a 225hp 5.0 and modding it to 300-400-even 500 hp. Didn't take long to figure out that I've got the wrong car for me. Plus the C2 is about 900 lbs. more than the FFR.
Anyone want a black C2??

·
Senior Charter Member
328 Posts
After that ringing endorsement how could anybody resist? :D

·
Official Member of the Unofficial "First 500 Club"
3,007 Posts
What does the "P" in "P-Car" they discuss about over there actually stand for? Porsche or Pu,.... well you know what I mean.

"The car is hot and uncomfortable," - yeah, tell us all something we don't know. Sniffle, sniffle, whine, whine. Let me guess the same guy who wrote that must wear his leather gloves every time he drives his "P-car".

No offense to Barry & MikeC, you guys turn your own wrenches. I sometimes think of getting rid of my FFR for something new, more comfortable, but then what will I do all winter, wax and polish it?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Actually, I would have expected much MORE disrespect on the Porche board. Comments weren't bad.

Hell, I've seen worse 'my replica is better than your replica comments' on the Cobra Club :(

I liked -- "Not a girly-man car" :D

·
Banned
5,303 Posts
they forget to mention another power of the cobra. i was headed back from an autocross at marina airport (3.5 hours drive with traffic, harumph) and there was a 911 convertible up ahead- guy was on his cell phone... well the girl in the passenger seat next to him had her head turned clear around staring at me from WAY back.. when i got up to them the guy was still on the cell and the girl eyeing the car, so i started pointing to my (empty) passenger seat and she gave me the thumbs ups. try that in almost any other car!

-james

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,808 Posts
My Porche is in the shop now for a new clutch....$1945.16. I love to drive it but it does cost for repairs. It's my daily driver, I save the vest (FFR) for the weekend flings.

San Rafael Mike

·
779 Posts
I had a 356 Coupe... and a 912... neither with A/C. Maybe I am just a rough-it type guy? My cousin had a $600 per-tune-up 911S... Geeeeez!!!

The FFR is in the same catagory as my Harley... It's fun!!! If I want creature comforts, I get in the Explorer. The P-Peeples would Pee in their pants if they ever got in a 962, or 917.

Street Porsches and Cobras (replicas or real)are not comparable in my opinion.

Michael~

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
Oh, I don't know. My first Porsche, a 1958 Speedster was a lot like my Cobra:

No roof, no roll-up windows, wind-in-the-face
No wipers
No radio
Loud exhaust (Bursch 4-into-1 for the Speedster)
Great handling
Great brakes
Heater, sort of.
Lots of fun to blast down those winding two-lane highways. Of course, the Cobra has a LOT more charisma, and horsepower!

The newer street Porsches...Well, that's why I own a Cobra now, instead.

Forrest

[ September 11, 2002, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: forrest1 ]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts