Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my upper 1/2" intake spacer in order to clear the valve covers..While installing I did notice that the spacer I received did not have a hole in the center..I believe it is the hole for the Egr...Is it OK to use this spacer and block that hole...Thank you

·
Registered
283 Posts
By blocking that hole you keep the hot exhaust gasses from entering your intake manifold, thus eliminating your EGR system. Best way to do it. Now you can remove your EGR hardware and clean up the engine compartment.

Karl

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,067 Posts
You can use it as-is or if you want to keep the EGR system functional you can drill a hole in the spacer.

Greg

·
Official Member of the Unofficial "First 500 Club"
3,007 Posts
Do not remove the EGR, it makes the car run much better and does not affect performance. It is there for a reason. Drill the hole in the spacer.

·
8,235 Posts
I'll second what Steve said. If you are not having a custom chip burned that changes the engine calibration to run without EGR then leave it functional. The stock Ford engine calibration uses the EGR to suppress detonation under part throttle high load conditions. Read one of the Ford fuel injection books that are out there, you'll learn a ton about the EECIV and V systems. They are very impressive.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Bad Caiman who's phenolic spacer are you using and where did you by it.I've been looking a 3/8" without the hole for a Cobra intake and everyone says they are back ordered.I will be removing the EGR,but useing a EEC Tweecer of turn off the EGR function in the computer.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Smitty, I had a phenolic spacer for the stock intake without the hole. It was made by BBK. Contact them to see if they have one for the Cobra intake. Here are the BBK part numbers for their spacers:

1506 Phenolic Kit for 5.0 GT-40 Manifold
1508 Phenolic Kit for Factory 5.0 Manifold
1520 Phenolic Kit for Edelbrock Performer 5.0 Manifold
1549 Phenolic Kit for Trick Flow Manifold

[ December 23, 2002, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: teamfour ]

·
FFCobra Craftsman
784 Posts
Ughhhh....

Plug the EGR using the spacer and go ahead and eliminate the rest fo the EGR hardware to clean up the under hood...

EGR does NOT supress detonation, infact the heat charge into the inlet stream actually promotes pre-ignition due to the added heat charge. EGR does not have any postive impact on drivability...period...

But, do as you wish but some of us do this for a living..There are plenty of production application that by design have removed EGR to help power delivery and drivability (C5 corvettes 2000 and up), Its a matter of having the ability to meet emmision without it. Oh..how many race cars have egr?....

Happy Holidays..

Phil

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I agree with RoadRebel. I have over 4k miles without EGR and have noticed no detonation or problems.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Blocking off the EGR will not cause a problem when using the stock computer,but when you scan for fault codes you'll get one for the EGR...most just ignore the code.Some people leave the EGR valve/solinoid attached to the harness and hold the plunger about halfway open.Some people use a resister to fool the comupter into think the EGR is still there so they dont get a fault code.I am running a Tweecer for other reasons so it is easy to use the tweecer to shut off the EGR function so I dont get a fault code.

[ December 24, 2002, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: Smitty ]

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since it is already installed I was planning on leaving all the EGR stuff on and conected..Does it make a difference if I leave the hole in the spacer blocked don't feel like pulling the upper intake again..Thank you

·
FFCobra Craftsman
784 Posts
Doesnt matter either way, If blocked it will be non functional, just the way I like it..THe computer doesnt know either way.

Phil

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Smitty, actually the EGR valve is the only connection that you can't fool with a resistor. You either have to leave the connection in place with the plunger 1/2 down or tweek the computer as you correctly stated.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts