Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Intake manifold suggestions for 460

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  CanuckSnake 
#1 ·
I know FF recommends a Torker intake for hood clearance. I was wondering if anyone has tried a different intake. I had an engine built and the builder really wants to use the Victor 460 (which sits on it now) but I can look at it and tell it won't fit. He wants to get the body/ hood mounted, see the clearance issue and possibly modify the Victor. I will be using the factory hood scoop.

Ryan

#4 ·
Ryan,
I have a 460 that has Ford Racing SCJ heads, and a Victor 460 intake is apparently the only one that will work with those heads. The factory hood scoop will not work. I have been messing around with mine for a while now, and my body man ended up modifying the scoop to make some room, and it is still very snug. My scoop was raised about 1 1/2" in the front and 3/4" in the rear. The issue is trying to fit an air cleaner that flows enough CFM for the monster it sits on to breathe. The route I have chosen is to put in a low profile Mallory distributor (part#3756001), and then do a DTM plenum/dual filter cold air intake. Still not much room. The whole process has been a PITA, but hopefully will be gratifying when finished.
I am not sure if I have yet fallen in love with my modified hood scoop (flirting, but not head over heels), and may end up going to a Super Snake hood at some point when my bank account recovers from this process.

Barry

#5 ·
Don't think I like your reply Barry. I have the Motorcraft Cobra Jet heads ( not sure if they are the same as yours). I was hoping "worse case scenario" to put on the Torker intake. Not worried too much for loss of HP with that motor ...actually would help if I lost some! You mentioned a low profile distributor, was that for air cleaner clearance or hood clearance!

#6 ·
My heads are Ford Racing M-6049-SCJA, they were designed by Jon Kaase for Ford. The low profile distributor was to accomodate the DTM plenum/cold air intake. An MSD 8577 will clear the hood by about a 1/2 inch, but its about 3" taller than the Mallory I am using. Maybe the Torker can be port-matched by a good machinist? Perhaps someone with more engine knowledge can chime in. I had called the tech line at Edelbrock to doublecheck on my options, and Victor 460 was what I was told. Your engine builder should be able to confirm if your heads are the same as mine.

Barry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.