Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What intake manifold will clear the hood on the coupe? I'm going to install a POwerjectionIII system and need to get an intake. Any benefits of Weiand over Edelbrock or any others?
Looking for ideas and suggestions.

·
Charter Member
2,612 Posts
I've got a Victor Jr on a 331 stroker, and it clears.

Rob

·
Charter Member
2,559 Posts
Depends on when your coupe was built. Later models have a running change where the hood bubble is about 1 1/2" higher, which would really help with the 351 motors. I've got a 351 (early coupe) and I use the Edelbrock Performer manifold and it gives me about 1/4" clearance using K & N filter. The Edelbrock Performer manifold is a low rise intake, dual plane, which gives excellent low and mid range power but is only good to about 5,500 rpm. Great manifold for the street but if you're going to do mostly track time you might want the Performer RPM or Victor Jr. Both would probably need mods to the hood with a 351.

Garry

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Go with whatever Edelbrock will fit. I started porting my Weiand Stealth to match my heads and after I started cutting I flipped it over and it says made in China on the bottom. Holley company made in China, its a shame.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,679 Posts
Hi Tim. Hope the coupe is coming along good. I had stacks on mine and you can see by the pic that there's not alot of room to the top of the cowl. The hood is flat remember not curved like the roadsters. My motor was a 302 so you can see by the tops of the valve covers there's not alot of room.

·
Premium Member
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the pics Bob. Those stacks are beautiful. Approx how much clearance do you have from the hood?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,679 Posts
The originals, I think had webbers on a 289 so the small bulge in the center of the hood is right where the stacks fit, still there is a few inches of height. With a carb, higher manifold, and air cleaner it starts to get really tight. Use a 351 engine and it gets next to impossible w/o putting a scoop on. But once you're making all that power, you'd better heat up your welder because you'll be making some king of better breathing exhaust system or nothing will work well. I think that's what people mean when they say the coupes are harder to make.
Here's a pic of the only 427 coupe, with a little scoop and different side exhaust.

personally I like the roadster side exhaust on the coupe with a few mods to make it fit.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Here's a shot of the underside of the nose of the Coupe at FFR (the number 5 car that's on their showroom floor). It has Weber IDFs and the picture shows how much room there is between the nose of the black body and the top of the stacks on a 289 engine.

This is the setup I'm going with but I raised my carbs up 1/2" (to get around the accelerator pump push rod on the carbs hitting the valvecover problem) and I'm building a turkey pan around mine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.