Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While the body's back off I need to yank the Performer (FI) and valve covers to chase down either a mis-adjusted rocker or sticking lifter and while I have it off figured I'd paint or powdercoat the manifold.
I was thinking paint so that I could also do the EGR and TB at the same time.
Any recommends on the right paint to use? Do I need an etching primer underneath?

·
Junior Charter Member
1,991 Posts
How about Ceramic coating? LNJ had his done and it looks awesome. My polished Performer RPM is not looking so good just from sitting, although it hasnt even been mounted on the engine yet!

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
I've used simple rattle can engine enamel in the past with excellent results. No matter what you use, surface prep is the key.

Clean it good with Simple Green. Bake in the oven for a while to bring the oils to the top, and clean again. Do that a 2-3 times and it should be clean enough to paint.

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
I used Duplicolor Engine Enamel with 1200 degree tolerance to paint my stock intake manifold. I used a silver color, and it looks great.

·
5,042 Posts
If that's the stock manifold your talking about, why bother? Its the ugliest beshed up and bent thing on the car.

Dig deep and but new headers. Well worth the $$$$$

·
1,569 Posts
POR engine paint in silver would give it a great look.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Originally posted by 2savage:
If that's the stock manifold your talking about, why bother? Its the ugliest beshed up and bent thing on the car.

Dig deep and but new headers. Well worth the $$$$$
I think he's talking intake, not exhaust.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
908 Posts
I used black and silver 500 degree Duplicolor Engine Enamel on my engine and engine parts with very good results. Other than the block I cured it in the oven after painting. Ventilate well.

Most of my parts were new and cleaned with brake cleaner a couple of times.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think he's talking intake, not exhaust.

Uhh yeah, Edlebrock Performer 5.0 intake. Already have chrome BBKs that run into modified
'J' pipes for the undercar exhaust.

Going to paint the manifold black I think and tape off the 'fins' on the endcap (older model) to match the Cobra-lettered valve covers I picked up from Mr. Pink.

Thanks for all the help guys.

·
Senior Charter Member
818 Posts
Mike, I used ceramic 1500 degree rattle can paint on mine w/no probels, and to match the black cobra valve covers I used a duplicolor texture paint.. matched almost perfect.
Eastwood detail gray is real nice too for the lower intake

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Don. The covers I got from Pinky are polished so I'll probably put gloss on them too (or leave them plain I'll wait and see how it looks).
I like that ceramic stuff. I used a flat black on the sidepipes before I sold them and on the undercar part.

Hey I got the cockpit rolled and most of the body edges all detailed out. Took me a week to get more of the vinylester bonding stuff but I'm planning on starting the hood hinges this weekend.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts