Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Charter Member
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK ,so I spend 45 minutes on the phone with my insurance company (Century 21) and they finaly tell me that they can't insure a 65 Cobra (after telling them numerous times its a replica)Where do they get these people? Anybody in Cal. can clue me in who does insure these vehicles and how do I need to insure. How about a rough estimate on annual premium (50 years old no tickets or accidents ever)

·
Senior Charter Member
610 Posts
I am working with grundy worldwide right now and I have a couple other prospects. I'll let you know if I have good luck.

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
I went wit hC21 too. The guy had no problem insuring it. He has me listed as SPCN Ford 2006. When the policy came it was declared as a "Gray Market Vehiocle".....whatever that means. I wrote down the name and number of the guy at C21 who answered the phone. PM me if you want it.

-K

·
Charter Member
312 Posts
It's amazing how different people in the same company provide different information.

I had 21st Century for 6 months starting in April 2005. I changed to USAA only because it's where my other cars are. I started with 21st because of Korous's exprience being able to insure it without a vin number. Anyway try calling this 21st number 800-211-7283 and ask for Alison. She used to be at extension x44226 but you never know. It was extremely easy and my Go-Kart was insured withing 1 Hour via credit card and a Fax machine.

Mark

[ December 15, 2006, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: Markus ]

·
Charter Member
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What are they quoting you for a premium?

·
Registered
5,905 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,142 Posts
I stayed with State Farm but had to go back to a agent where I used to live.

Reason being, one office could not figure out how to enter it in the computer. So they simply said they could not insure it.

My old agent entered it and I was on the road.

·
Registered
394 Posts
AAA insured mine at $950 / yr. Had to have a VIN before they would insure. State Farm was also willing and needed a VIN as well. I believe Century 21 told me no.

Beware of the low premium hobbyist insurances as they have restrictions - i.e. no driving to work, no errands, limited miles etc. Make sure this matches your driving intentions.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Used Mid West Classic insurance. Around 350.00 per year with a agreed replacement value. They have several plans avalible depending on milage driven. Like Phil mentione be sure to get coverage for the type driving you will do. Ocassional use is not the same as every day driver. Along with things like value of the car and replacement cost.

·
Newbie...
86 Posts
Along this line, when you value the car for insurance purposes, do you add cost of your labour to build (re-build) the car?? If not and you right it off in a smash, are you going to be happy to build it again for free? Be without your cobra while you build it etc??
Does the insurance company give an allowance for labour costs?

·
Junior Charter Member
20 Posts
I called 21st at 800-211-7283 (x44226) and left a message for Alison to call me back. She called back in about 10 minutes. She was excellent to work with, and I was finished in about 15 minutes.

Jack

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
I use State Farm. Not sure about other states, but they don't need a VIN to provide coverage, just use the Chassis number, and they are happy. $450/yr no mileage restrictions, $30k valuation.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I went with Grundy for $50K agreed value no mileage limits (but I can't take it to work). $624.00 in Massachusetts.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,080 Posts
My buddy/agent said the cobra was the only car I could not insure through him @ Allstate. I have seven cars insured through him. I did a search here and went with Northeast Classic Auto Ins, 1.800.543.2644. Took a couple of photos and fax's, but got 50K coverage for 3,000 miles for $315.00.

Fredk

·
Registered
139 Posts
American Hobbyist aka American Reliable Insurance Company. I'm still building the car and do not have a VIN yet. They wrote a comprehensive only policy for me with an agreed value of $35,000 for 219.40 for one year with $1,000 deductible. The car is written up as a 1965 Factory Five Cobra Replica MKIII. The agent was very helpful and said they write a lot of these for the FF5 cars. They are headquartered in PA, phone number is 800-395-4835. Although I live in PA, the car is physically located in CA while being built and will be titled in PA when done. The only thing they asked for is photos of the car once the build is under way. I did have to give them the Cert of Origin info from FF5. Note this is for comp only and I will have to obtain liability from them when ready to drive. The quote they gave me for that was $390 I think for a year. thers is a lik of the FF5 site under insurance for them and it was as simple as filling out a request for quote off their web site followed by a phone call from them. I had insurance as soon as they got my check. No mileage restrictions as long as you have at least one other car for general use and plan to use the Cobra for pleasure drives. Also, no drivers under the age of 26 which made my son mad but secretly made me happy I didn't have to worry about a 17 year old begging me for the keys!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts