Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a quote from American Hobbyist for $463 anually. This is $0 deductable and car valued at $30K ($500 deductable is only $418). I realize the rates vary from state to state, however I've seen a lot of quotes in the high 200-low 300 range? I can live with their rules, with the exception of "car can't be used to run errands or general driving". Basically what they are saying is that you can't use the car to run to the Auto Zone for a case of oil or to Hooters for some awesome wings ;) Ocassional cruises are o.k. I know there are a lot of FFR guys using A.H. insurance, how has the esperience been? Are they good to deal with if there's a wreck? I called Progressive (where I have my other cars) and they are cluelees, they say I need a VIN before I can be insured. Told them I can't get a VIN until the car is registered/tagged and I need insurance before I can register it (catch-22).

·
Premium Member
7,018 Posts
I think you will find that the quotes in the $200 to $300 range were not for full coverge, but for comp only.

Also, I have A.H. insurance. What they are saying is you can't use the Cobra as your daily driver. I take my car on pleasure drives all the time.

PS: This thread should have been in the "Insurance / Registration" forum

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bob,
That makes sense, I saw where A.H. was insuring the actual kit before it was finished, then the builder called and had it fully upgraded, guess that's why it was so cheap. BTW A.H seemed very knowlegable on FFR, where as Progressive was "FFR what's that, aahhh what's a Cobra? is that a Mustang?" :(
A.H. also says they don't want you to leave it in a parking lot? How do you get around this? I guess what I'm asking is are they real sticklers for following the rules? How can you not use this car to run the ocassional errand or park it? I'm a very careful driver with a perfect record (knock on wood) my ONLY insurance claims over the last 10 yrs have been for cracked windshields.

·
4,342 Posts
SDog-

I just insured mine with Progressive. It has a lot to do with the Agent and their level of knowledge and ambition. This guy has a restored '68 Mustang so he knew the ropes. I got 100-300K liability, agreed value of 30K (while still building), Comp. but no Collision (I'll add that at completion). $500 Deductible. $600/year.

The problem I had with the specialty insurers, and I talked to alot of them, was that many would only insure professionaly built cars, and they were adamant about no general purpose driving. I spoke with a neighbor who owns an insurance agency, and he's familiar and sells some of the specialty policies. He said they will absolutely deny a claim for what is outside their terms, or maybe pay it then drop you. I have enough experience to believe him.

Just my pennies worth.

·
Premium Member
7,018 Posts
Scalded Dog:

An insurance policy is a legal contract and any claim will be considered based upon the policy wordings. If I remember, when I get home I will look at the policy and give you a response based upon actual policy wording and not conjecture.

Jim, A.H. is a direct writer. I would be absolutely shocked to find an agent that would say anything good about them (or any direct writer), their policies or their service. That's just the law of the insurance jungle!

·
4,342 Posts
Bob-
The neighbor I refer to owns a multi-line agency, what they refer to as non standard here in FL. He sells AH, even have the application he sent me to check out. Although I wasn't speaking about AH exclusively, or in any derogatory way. I'm just saying their policies have limits and that they are there for a reason, to limit their liability to only situations that they are comfortable with.

·
Junior Charter Member
815 Posts
"Told them I can't get a VIN until the car is registered/tagged and I need insurance before I can register it (catch-22)."

Are you sure about this? How is the state going to register/tag a car before there is a VIN assigned to it to register/tag? It would appear to me the more likely scenario is that you need to get a VIN assigned through whatever agency does it in GA, then registration, etc. Probably have to go through a state police inspection to ensure no stolen parts, safety check, and whatnot.

I suggest calling your state office (not local office) and asking how you get a VIN assigned to a vehicle that has never had one.

Have you read this ?

·
4,342 Posts
Each State will have their own procedure, so a little research would be in order. Here, you get insurance, then get title & registration. State provides the VIN #. Usually use the FFR #.

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In GA you get the car inspected by a private inspector (in my case the inspector runs a used car lot) then you get insurance, then you take your proof of insurance and inspection cert to the DMV and get it registered as a relica with antique plates. This exempts you from emissions. You will be issued a VIN when it's registered. I think I'll go with AH since I've heard so much good on the web site. If I'm on the way to Hooters and somebody rear ends me who's to say I wasn't simply on a cruise? How the heck can an insurance company tell if you are on the way to a car show, cruise in or to get a six-pack of beer at the 7-11? I won't drive this car in rush hour traffic, and for the most part won't use it to run errands, but after 8 months of hard work, I'm ready to drive!!!

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
The problem isn't things happening on the way to 7-11 or Hooters. The problem is if something happens AT 7-11 or Hooters.

RR

·
Junior Charter Member
3,131 Posts
I'm insured with State Farm. $30,000 and the usual restrictions on racing, daily driving, etc., with a 2000 mile a year restriction. $76 for 6 months. By the way, if you go to Hooters with your Cobra Club as a function, you're covered. Pete

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Check with State Farm. I'm paying $37/month, 3,000 miles per year, in Iowa for full coverage. AH quoted $288/year but I like having a local agent and with our driving season here it is about the same.

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Doug or Pete,
Do you know if State Farm requires a VIN first?
Russ

·
Junior Charter Member
3,131 Posts
Dog: I had Condon and Skelly insurance for a year before I went with State Farm. I don't know if they require a VIN first. I didn't have any cars insured with them, but our house is, so they took the Cobra. I just drove it to their office and they came out, drooled, took pictures, and signed me up. Pete

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
no classic car type insurance company would insure me because they required a daily driver that was 10 years old maximum. my daily driver is a '91 integra. they require a reliable daily driver out of fear that it will break down and you will use your classic for temporary transportation.

funny thing is, over 200K on that integra, and not one problem. my room mate has a new dodge truck, and it has been in the shop four times. he borrowed my integra for work!

anyway, i pay $550 annually, with the $30K thing, no limits on anything. i have a perfect 20 year driving record.

my insurer is Mercury, and to this day, it is still registered with the Serial Number. try giving them that #

·
just another builder
8,238 Posts
ttt...i have an interest in this as well

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I had to provide VIN # to my agent but didn't question him about it because I already had it.

·
Charter Member
146 Posts
I just went throught this process in a Metro Atlanta county.

E-mail me and we can talk on the phone if you need some advice on registering the car or who we used for insurance.

It worked out well, few problems.

·
Junior Charter Member
86 Posts
I have State Farm Insurance and I live in TN. I insured my car with State Farm by giving them the FF5 number and they treat it as a classic. My agent had to call the main office to get clarification. Your kit car is not covered by your home owners so you will need to insure it. I pay $53 a month for 7,500 miles a year for pleasure driving. I hope this helps.

·
Cone Killer
1,781 Posts
I just got mine insured with USAA. $416 per year, full coverage with $500 deductible, 5000 miles annually. They used the FFR serial number.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.