Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked into the Forum history of post and I am still unclear.

Insurance:

To insure a Cobra with no restrictions and have full coverage for the value of the car what insurance have some of you used, and what is the approx. monthly payment?

My current reasearch tells me that it would be much the same as buying a new Mustang Cobra or any other new car and then getting it insured as your daily driver with full coverage. (Providing that you Cobra replica is registered as a 2007, but this forces me to deal with emissions.?)

As a side question:

How well do the cats work from Factory Five work?

Thank you,

·
4,494 Posts
Can't say about Virginia, but in California I have mine insured for its Actual Cash Value, no mileage restrictions and it is a daily driver. Insurance is through AAA (The Auto Club) and the cost is $558 per year (same proce for both of my Cobras), full coverage. that rate is based on my having 4 cars (2 FFR Cobras, a 2001 Windstar and a 1995 Camry) and a motorhome, and having 3 drivers in the house.

·
15,282 Posts
No one can answer this question. It depends on the state, the driver, the driver's record, the car he builds, and whether he can even find an insurance company that will carry a car like this without restrictions. If you read the posts, you'll see that a no-restriction policy is very hard to find in many states, and is prohibitively expensive in others. Most insurance companies don't have a clue what the car is, how well it was built, or what it's worth, and your business just isn't worth figuring it out to them.

Here in Texas, I'm able to insure the car without restrictions as a "second car" on my policy. They know it's not my daily driver, but I can still put as many miles on it as I want. The companies all refused to carry it separately on anything other than a collector-type policy.

My best advice is to find a really good local agent that can shop it around for you. They'll find a company that will do it (if one exists), and they'll save you all the work and trouble. I used to buy auto insurance direct, but now I wouldn't buy insurance any other way -- my agent really does a great job for me.

Cheers, John

·
15,282 Posts
Also, you are probably close enough to DC that you are affected by emissions requirements, hence the question about cats. I lived in VA (Arlington) for a few years. I had a horrible time getting my Porsche to pass emissions around there -- had to burn custom chips and go to a dyno where they knew how to make a car pass.

You'll need to make sure the car you buy or build was designed to pass pretty stringent emissions standards -- cats, EGR, OBD, and so on. Otherwise you may be creating a real headache for yourself. Good luck.

Cheers, John

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Dreamer - check in atCACC there is an on going effort in the area of cleaning up registrations in VA.

You will have to register at the site to get access to the private discussion area, where most of the talk about title and registration taks place. You can also show up at breakfast any saturday morning at the Vienna Inn, in Vienna for lots of talk about cars.

·
246 Posts
1) As mentioned earlier, lots of variables, but I use State Farm, insured for $30k, $1k deductible, full coverage, no restrictions, runs $700/yr.

2) FFR cats....I could tell you except I've had mine ordered for over a month and still don't have them. I do, however, have TWO sets of cats for the 4.6 motor FFR has sent me....problem is I ordered for my 351w. I'd say more, but I'm pretty sure I would become impolite.

Mike

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,751 Posts
Cats are effective. Passed CA smog and there is a noticable difference (exhaust smell) without them.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Wow, you guys are getting off cheap. I have high limits 100k/300k, uninsured motorist, $25k value, full coverage, $1k deductible through 21st century for $1200 year. That's actually cheaper than my F250 with the same.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
732 Posts
Tried to get insurance through Grundy's. They won't insure Cobra replicas that are valued less then $50,000. I asked why? "Because we have too many claims from people with Cobra replicas that are valued under $50,000." Kind of blew me away!

·
FFCobra Craftsman
903 Posts
not worried about my car can get fixed or replaced. just worried about the other person. have libility only. built it once can build it again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts