Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
9,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading the many threads on insurance problems I really think that we, as a group, should do something about this growing problem. We have a website that gets 32,000 hits per day and how often do we hear about wrecked roadsters? Not very often. So either the insurance companies just don't want to deal with kits or they don't mind at all.

I can think of a few things:

(1.) Support insurance companies who support us. More info below about a company who can help.
(2.) Get SEMA involved and post something to the front page of FFCars for people to write to whom ever can help us.
(3.) The kit car companies are watching this close because it will have a cause and effect on future sales. So get them involved in helping the cause.
(4.) Start our own kit car/collectors insurance company.
(5.) ???

Here's an idea for insurance: Mike Smith, Northeast Classic Auto Ins., emailed me a while back so I called him today. He agrees that cobra replicas do not have high claim numbers because people built these cars themselves and are probably MORE careful.

He wants your business. If your car is titled as a 1965 you will save about 50%. He said that a $30,000 valued replica will run about $200-$250 per year, or about double that for a car titled as a 2002 or something. The company could decide to up the rates for all FFR cars, but instead of figuring out which car is '65 and which car is a '02, they just let the title do the talking. The reason an older car is cheaper is because it is a collector car. Sorry guys in states where you have to title it as the year you built it.

His company has the normal restrictions such as miles, parking, use, etc. For a little extra he can up the miles. I think he said 6,000 miles would add about $35 to the yearly cost.

He can sign you up online in 5 minutes. You fill out the form and email him pictures and fax him the info. Quick and easy. (800)866-6440 www.classiccarinsurance.com

I know some want insurance that will allow you to drive your car like you would your other cars, but this is a good start.

Disclaimer: FFCars owners do not get any commissions and were not paid to tell you about this. We do not know this guy, so do your own research before purchasing insurance. If you buy insurance from him, do so on your own merit, not what we have to say.

- Bill

·
FFCobra Craftsman
4,241 Posts
Boy im glad I posted some info on this company.... SIMPLY AWSOME!!!!!! Remember there is power in numbers.... Seems like reasonable rates to me!

Rgds

Rob

·
Registered
87 Posts
Great job. If he is will to insure without a hassle we should send him the business.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
4,241 Posts
Heres the info i posted to the other thread just to have it here...

Northeast Classic Car insurance:

You made an important choice in selecting your collectible cars. Now you need to make just as an important choice in your insurance.

1000, 3000, and 6000 mile per year programs available.
No vehicle age limitation. We insure collectible cars from 1900 through brand new models.
Full pleasure driving allowed.
Stated and agreed value insurance.
Drivers must be 26 years of age.

Street Rods, Modifieds, Replicars Insurance
available in most states.
Call toll free for your quote 1-800-866-6440
or complete our online form

Might check this out!

CONTACT INFORMATION
Northeast Classic Auto Insurance, Inc.
P.O. Box 287 • 40 Georges Lane
Monroe, CT 06468
Toll Free: 1-800-866-6440
Phone: 203-459-9789
Fax: 203-459-9791

E-Mail us at [email protected]
www.classiccarinsurance.com

RGDS

Rob

P.S. Sorry it's choppy i cut and pasted the add!

·
10,171 Posts
strenght in numbers.. always has been that way, and always will be... (you want prayer back in schools).. lay back on your ass and you will get crap.. ban together and lookout... MAN!!!! what got into me :eek:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Thanks Bill, You're a great guy, I don't car what the others say about you ;) . Looks good. I'll check it out.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Bill,
Great idea to start this thread. I think we need to put a lot of this on the FAQs. I've spoken with Mike Smith in the past and he is a really nice guy.

But I again think we have to be clear in telling everyone, please DO NOT lie to Mike or on your application about mileage, year of car, etc...It can land you in very big trouble. I do this for a living, trust me.

I think there is hope for Cobra owners. I would have to disagree that Cobras don't have higher rates of claim, there has to be a reason many companies are turning away from them. I'm sure I can do some research to try to find out (my company still insures Cobras). We need to continue to be careful in driving, and encourage other owners who don't participate in these forums to do so as well.

Lastly, if I can be of any help to anyone about this issue, please feel free to ask. Mike is a great resource for buying insurance. But remember, he only represents companies and sells their policies. He probably doesn't deal much with the claims side of things.

Steve

·
Senior Charter Member
1,151 Posts
Good thread Bill, Nice Job! I have coverage with My regular agent but will change to Northeast when it comes due just to support Mike. Everyone drive safely so We can make a point and everyone can get insured and stay insured without having to worry about surprize increases or cancelled coverage.
Tom

·
Administrator
9,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks should also go to Rob for finding this guy. Great job! I'm going to insure my two coupes and roadster with them when my policy is up for renewal.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
592 Posts
Unfortunately Classis dosent operate in Missouri. Mike suggested I try Rally Ins in Il. Phone # 1-800-801-1823, ask for Tammy. I am sending an application Mon. 3000 mile limit, and matches the ins. on my other vehicles as far as liability collision etc. $254 annually.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Did I call the right ins. co? The price was $150, but could only drive in a parade or to a car show. No pleasure driving, cant even drive to a shopping center. Not much good for me, like I said before I built the car to drive, State Farm is not cheap but at least you can use the car.
Airman :confused:

·
Registered
635 Posts
Guy's, They do not operate in Kentucky but he sent me to Rally Ins. also. He sent me the forms needed and the driving is VERY limited. You better make sure you know what your signing up for. Here is a copy of the sheet he sent for me to sign.

ELITE COLLECTOR PROGRAM
AMENDATORY ENDORSEMENT - VEHICLE USAGE
In consideration of the premiums charged under this policy, it is agreed that any vehicle insured under this program will be used for:
a. exhibition
b. club activities
c. parades, or
d. other functions of public interest

Coverage will not apply when used for:
a. backup transportation
b. errands
C. driving to work or school
d. business or commercial purposes
e. participation in practicing, or testing for any racing, speed contests time trials or
on-track event of any kind.

Occasional pleasure driving is permitted only when not in violation of the above. It is agreed that:

all vehicles will be kept in a completely enclosed, locked garage at night;
no vehicle will be driven more than the annual mileage limitation declared on the
face of the policy, without prior written consent of the company.

This may work for some folks but I'd like to be able to take my car out anytime I want so I'll have to look at other options.

That being said I'd like to thank the people putting all the time into finding things like this. It's nice to have the help and the options.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Just got my quote from NE Classic
$212 for 3000 miles annually
$290 for 6000 miles
Both for $30000 value
$100 deductible for collision and comprehensive
$300,000 liability and uninsured motorist.
Fantasic, thanks Rob and Bill. Give Mike Smith a call.
Let's support those who support us.

[ July 29, 2002, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: chabel ]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts