Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All...in looking through the Internet for some sort of a 'comparison' or 'opinion' regarding the MANY different sound & heat insulating products I can across this site...

Automotive Sound Deadeners, Insulation and Anti-Rattle Products | Mods and Rods TV

....many of you have probably already used one or more of these products and I would really, really appreciate any comments from actual users as to which of these products work well, work so-so or are a waste of time and $$$$. Feel free to use my email which is "[email protected]"
Thanks a bunch!!!!
Dan Melnik
Beaumont, CA

· Registered
202 Posts
I used HushMat butyl/aluminum on the floor, trans tunnel and trunk. My car isn't finished yet so I can't speak to how well it will work. Installation was tedious as I had to do a lot of cutting and fitting. As I recall, installation took about 20 hours spread over several days.

The stuff is super sticky and when you peel off the backing and go to put it in place you need to have a plan as to how you will lay the piece down. Once it is stuck, it's on there.

I also sprayed the underside of all the aluminum panels with Lizard Skin ceramic before the final install and riveting. One bucket will do the whole job but you will need the special spray gun to apply it.

Before the HusHMat install, I sealed all the seams with 3M seam sealer.

Racerboy1a
#99 347, TKO, 3-link, coupe

· Registered
1,077 Posts
I used the EZ Cool, very happy with the results. Even happier about the price. I bought it here EZ Cool Automotive Insulation heat barrier and noise reduction for cars, trucks, classic cars, street rods and much more I also used their aluminum tape for the seams. I have nothing to compare this to except before and after but it made a world of difference. I am sure others will chime in about other products, but what really sold me on this one was the price and the fact that it is mold and mildew resistant. Not that I plan on getting caught in the rain but you never know. It was also very easy to work with. Cut with a utility knife or scissors and glue in with 3M 77

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Insulation types...

Thanks to you both for the replies and comments! I had heard of many builders using the Lizard Skin product (including a friend about 30 minutes away in Hemet, CA who is building a '33 HR as well) and I have so far read has been 'positive' ! I guess the biggest decision now is which supplier of a 'mat-style' of insulation to use along with the Liz. Skin!? Cost is definitely a factor as well but some suppliers have quite a number of different products to offer and weeding through them all and then trying to figure out which one(s) actually are worth while putting into the vehicle seems to be a daunting job! Well, thanks a bunch to all who have commented and I guess I need to spend a LOT more time on the Internet seeing if there is a posted 'comparision' web site anywhere, or should I say "a web site that is not too bias"! (smile)
Thanks again guys!
Dan Melnik
Beaumont, CA

· Registered
1,077 Posts
Just google EZ Cool at the bottom of the page and you will get a lot of feedback. You can do the same with Dynamat...

· Registered
561 Posts
I'm with racerboy. I used a home-made version of lizard skin on the street side of all of the aluminum panels, sealed them with 3M sealer and aluminum HVAC tape, then used butyl RAAM mat over the inside of all the panels. I haven't driven it yet, but if its still too loud or too hot I'm planning on a second layer of butyl mat and/or the metallic bubble wrap product under the carpet.

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! I did check out that link for the EZ-cool product and sounds like a pretty good deal as far as the cost (compared to other products) though I also notice that most builders have also used Lizard Skin or a similar product PLUS the mat type of insulator. Spent a few hours on the Internet last night and will do lots more to try and see if I can find out which of the many products would be better than others...I sort of figure that there won't be a real big different but, well, what do I know? after reading the noise level readings of the builder in Australia who checked the 'before & after' noise levels from installing that EZ-cool product I must admit that the numbers sure sound pretty good to me (no pun intended)
Thanks a bunch guys!!!!
Dan Melnik
Beaumont, CA

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.