Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got to the point over the weekend when I was ready to install the donor radiator in the MkII. I noticed that it had some rot in the fins between the passages so decided to replace it. Got an exact replacement part. Neither one quite reaches the two little pieces of 3/4" x 3/4" tubing that they are supposed to be bolted to. At least, they don't reach far enough to get a hole into the center (or near it) of the tubing. I'm considering bolting a piece of 3/4" x 3/4" angle to the bottom of the two tubing pieces and bolting the radiator to that.

Question #1 is, will that lower the radiator too much to allow the bottom to fit right once the body is on?
Question #2, how in the h*ll are you supposed to put coolant in the radiator once it's in? I guess this is why everybody puts a filler in the return line.

Comments, suggestions, and pictures would be helpful. Thanks, everybody.

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
OK, try this:

1. Remember that the bottom of the radiator is angled out and up - that makes a difference in how it fits. Had your same problems until I played with the angle.

2. On most replacement radiators, the forward side of the two flanges have to be slightly "peened" with a light hammer to allow the radiator further to be moved toward the driver's side so as get a cap on it as well.

Do a search - there are several recent posts on stock radiator assy installations. Hope this helps.

Mike

·
Senior Charter Member
594 Posts
At the top of the radiator there are two small tabs that needed to be bent down on mine.

Bend them down and it should go on nicely.

Tifford

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
As far as filling the radiators, you don't. If you use the manual, you fill through the thermostat housing. Many guys here have gone to CSI or Moroso T fillers cut into the upper radiator line.

Instead of the screws to hold the radiator on, I used a piece of 1/8" aluminum flat bar, riveted to the flange on teh top of the radiator and to the 3/4" tube on the frame. I don't trust screws...

All the best,
Tag

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.