Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When's the best time/easiest way to install a sound deadener or heat sheild product in the engine bay (i.e., Fatmat, Damplifier, ProHeat 2000 etc.)?

Do I install first on all desired panels, and then drill through it and install all the other stuff on top of it (i.e., wiper motor, MSD box, brake lines, brackets)?

OR...

Do I piece the material in around the items above after they are already installed?

JT

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
I used dynamat extreme inside the cockpit after everything else . Nothing in the engine bay .I dont think it's a good idea to reflect any heat back into the engine bay. Bob

·
Junior Charter Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bob,

I've seen people install it in the cockpit only (like you) and in both the cockpit and engine bay, and have often wondered if there was a specific reason why it was installed one way versus another. I always thought it was more of a time and budget thing.

Curious. Why is reflecting heat away from the cockpit area and back into the engine bay an issue? Due to the reflective quality of the aluminum panels, and the added insulation, it seems like that is going to happen regardless of whether you insulate the inside or outside of the footboxes/firewall.

JT

·
Junior Charter Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ttt

·
Registered
561 Posts
ok, I have to ask... what does "ttt" mean, I see it all the time and always wonder :confused:

I use second skin sound deadener and heat shield. The heat shield (about a half inch thick, some kind of matt on the back and foil on the front) goes in the engine compartment, covering the footboxes, fire wall and down some into the tranny tunnel. The sound dampener (which also provides some heat shielding) I use on the inner alum. panels. It might be a little overkill. i also use the deadener in the trunk. It gives the whole car a more solid feel IMHO. The heat is going to exit the car generally through the side vents and out the bottom of the engine compartment when it is moving so I try to cover the areas it will impact the passengers the most.

As to why not to reflect it back into the engine compartment there is some concern (correct me if I am wrong Bob) that the excess heat there will be hard on the hood/paint etc.

You can mount things through the heat shield. If you try to piece it together it does not provide a solid barrier. If I have something... heavy (say a wiper motor) or something I am concerned about mounting solidly I either use over sized washers or make a backing plate out of alum. Small things like a BAP sensor you can mount normally.

For ease of installation, you can mount the dampener to the panels proir to installation. I sometimes will leave a 3/4 gap at the edges where they will contact the next panel and fill it in with small strips after final riviting. I don't rivit through it. Rivits should make metal to metal contact. It is a lot easier to install the dampener on say the foot boxes that way than to try and squeeze under the dash once they are in. my 2 cents... ;)

·
Junior Charter Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Scott,

Thanks for the reply. My understanding, "ttt" is "To the Top". Sometimes there is a lot of discussion and threads that are not being answered move quickly to the bottom of the list, where they sometimes languish. Responding to a thread moves it to the top of the list and "ttt" is used as a quick response to do so.

Thanks for describing your installation methods for sound dampener and heat shield and your comments on reflecting heat within the engine compartment.

Most of my sheetmetal is installed. Just curious what others were doing, and if it was necessary to remove and remount things that were already mounted to the footboxes, firewall, etc. By your description, it sounds like I will want to remove then insulate behind a few things I already have mounted.

JT

1 - 7 of 7 Posts