Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Plodding Along
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a whim, I bought one of the original fan control knobs from the Superformance parts supplier (Hillbank) and was able to modify it to work with the FFR / Vintage Air heater control with very little effort. All you need is the knob, a small piece of 1/4" brass hex bar stock, epoxy, and a set screw. Cut the hex bar stock to fit the length of the hex opening in the stem of the knob, then drill it to accept the FFR / Vintage Air heater control rod. Epoxy the bar stock in place making sure it seats all the way down (will be difficult with the epoxy in the hole as pneumatic resistance will want to push it back out - just be patient and don't use too much epoxy) and once it's set-up, measure and mark the spot to drill for the set-screw so that the set screw aligns with the flat that is machined in the heater control rod (use a tap to put threads in the plastic and brass). Once installed, the markings on the original knob even match the switch positions!

·
2007 Calendar Cover Car
2,815 Posts
Nice little mod here Chris. I'm about to apply it to two of my rotary knobs, and discard the round ones. Simple question...where did you get the 1/4" brass hex bar stock? I can't find it in a reasonable, non-commercial length. Thanks.

·
Plodding Along
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice little mod here Chris. I'm about to apply it to two of my rotary knobs, and discard the round ones. Simple question...where did you get the 1/4" brass hex bar stock? I can't find it in a reasonable, non-commercial length. Thanks.
McMaster - but I had to buy a six foot rod. PM me your address and I'll mail you a chunk.

·
2007 Calendar Cover Car
2,815 Posts
Almost 6 years later, finally got these knobs installed! Thought it would be fun to update this thread, especially since this sub-forum doesn’t get a lot of action anymore. I didn’t use the hex rod, so paid that forward to another forum member.

For my fan, it’s a Summit 3 position switch with a plastic shaft. I drilled and tapped a hole in the knob toward the shaft end, and did the same for shaft, so the set screw goes through both the knob shaft and the switch shaft.

The H is my hazards, which is a rotary knob as well. I filed down the inside of the knob until the original shaft and clip fit. This one is just a press fit.

Last thing I might do is put a slightly larger washer behind the nut.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Bumping the old thread. So just so I understand, you guys took the hex rod and drilled it to the D-shaft?

I am confused about this part: "then drill it to accept the FFR / Vintage Air heater control rod". I don't understand what I am drilling.

@Redfish
@CCRsAC

·
2007 Calendar Cover Car
2,815 Posts
Hey zee - I didn’t end up using the rod for either of mine, but I think that’s the idea. Epoxy the shaft in, and drill it.

My knobs are beautiful, but definitely fragile plastic, so proceed carefully (I cracked one, had to glue it back together). Post a pic when finished.

Bumping the old thread. So just so I understand, you guys took the hex rod and drilled it to the D-shaft?

I am confused about this part: "then drill it to accept the FFR / Vintage Air heater control rod". I don't understand what I am drilling.

@Redfish
@CCRsAC

1 - 6 of 6 Posts