Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(cross post from my build thread)

Just an update...

Been enjoying the car over the summer. I needed to tune the PCM to account for long tubes and the intake. I have HPTuners, which now supports the Ford Control Pack. After waiting for over a year for the support and starting to work with it, Ive decided to go stand alone. There are several things at play in my decision.. But the primary one is to learn the process of installing and tuning a stand alone EFI system.

I’ve installed an AEM Infinity Plug and Play ECU system for the Coyote. This system allows full control of the Coyotes 4 cams, has incredible flexibility and some really powerful engine protection strategies. AEMs support to this point has been nothing but stellar. BTW, this is the same system that they are putting in the Singer 911… The system has full 4 wheel traction control, launch control, and several other cool functions.

Trevor and I flew down to LA week before last and took their tuner training, a 2 day course. It was really informative and we both feel pretty comfortable with the hardware and software now. We both read the nearly 400 page manual before the course. :D

I fully admit to be a novice when it comes to tuning... So hey, why not cut my teeth on an engine that needs an ECU to control 4 cams?

I planned to run the racelogic traction control from the start but had not gotten around to it. Wiring this in, would be a big effort. The AEM system has built in 4 wheel traction control, so this is another one of the reasons with moving this way.

If the system doesn't live up to my expectations, I'll chalk up to a learning experience and throw the ford PCM back in and sell off the Infinity setup.

On with the install.

The Infinity PnP system for the Coyote comes with a basemap that has been tuned on a dyno to match the power curves of a stock Coyote PCM, including the torque curve and cam tuning. I will be at least as far along as I am now with the stock PCM with regards to cam curves. I can pull the stock Ford Cam timing over and have enough examples from other HPtuner tunes I have found online to give me good data points to pull from.

Infinity-8/10 & 812 | AEM

PnP adapter harness.

HP curves from tuning the cams on the system.

Torque curves combining both intake and exhaust. (stock Coyote on an engine dyno)

More on the Coyote PnP system. Infinity PNP Ford Coyote Engines using Ford Racing Controls Pack | AEM

I machined an adapter plate that allows me do a Ford to Infinity swap out in less than an hour. The entire Ford Control Pack harness stays in place.

This weekend I finished up the wiring and other tasks required for the first start. Needed to install the MAP sensor, which I mounted under the engine cover for now. The vacuum line is very short, at around 3 inches.

Built a harness for the MAP sensor and fuel pressure sensor.

If you install a fuel pressure sensor, the Infinity system will adjust the injector PW automatically if you start to lose fuel pressure for any reason such as a failing pump, it will keep your commanded lambda. This is a really great feature IMO for keeping the engine safe. You can also set the ECU to trigger trouble light/LED if it senses pressure going below a specific pressure.

The system comes with 2x 4 channel coil drivers to drive the Coyote coils. The drivers need to be mounted to a metal object to dissipate heat. Designed and machined a heat sink out of .25” plate aluminum and machine some fins in it to increase the surface area.

Mounted under the passenger footbox.

Installed the Bosch wideband sensors and the adapter harnesses. The AEM system is not compatible with the factory Ford spec’d widebands.

I still have to hard mount the ECU as it currently sitting on the passenger footbox. Im debating mounting it where it is, or making a mounting plate to installing vertically.

I went through the the process of registering the Infinity box and updating the firmware to the Coyote PNP system. Then went about checking that I was getting signals from sensors etc. all … seemed… fine.

It was time to turn the key for the first time…. She fired right up, but appeared to be running really rich. I wasn't sure if this was just an artifact of the base tune or if I had something else going on. After working with my friend Trevor over the phone, we figured out that I did not change the default MAP sensor in the wizard which was set to 3.5 bar… ooops!

I went in and corrected it, and re-started the car… WOW… what a difference. She settled in to nice smooth idle and the engine seems to rev much quicker than with the Ford PCM.

Here is a video of the startup after correcting the MAP sensor type.

https://youtu.be/zXTLgHOs430

Also went through the procedure of syncing all 4 cams. They each needed about 1 degree of correction which took just a minute to set.

No tuning has been done and am running on the 100% stock base map. Looks as though the VE is off by about 10% and the lambda correction is pulling ~10% of fuel The car has not been driven yet, but did pull into the garage smoothly with no problem.. :D

So far, Im just shocked how nice the car idles and revs on the base map. I should get the car on the road with a bit of luck to get some logging done. Will report back how that goes.

·
Registered
623 Posts
David,

Congrats on the fire-up. Man did it sound smooth and I could only hear it over the phone. I too say WOW! Amazing that it fired right up and ran so cleanly right out of the gate. This is another major encouraging milestone on the quest to gain greater control over the ECU and cleanup driveability. I hope to have my AEM Infinity install far enough along by this weekend for first fire up.

Trevor

Nice fab work and thanks again for the harness mount.

Trevor

·
Registered
62 Posts
Did you have to do any special tuning for the stainless headers with the control pack PCM? Modify the 02 Delay any? I know the exhaust cam timing needs to be dialed in for the most power, but I was wondering about the 02 delay. Congrats on the standalone.

·
8,184 Posts
David does the AEM have transmission control capability? I have a truck project that I want to use an F150 5.0 engine and transmission in but haven't been able to find a trans control option. Thanks.

·
Man Cave Master Craftsman
493 Posts
AEM Inifity

Hello David,

Great info! congrats on getting it set up and running, it sounds great! So, it looks like I will be following your progress as I'm also going to be running the Infiinity stand alone.

Several months ago after doing research for an abs module (Racelogic) I discovered that the Infinity already had it built in plus with tons of other engine management advantages I pulled the trigger and bought one.

I take it you found the 2 day course useful? I was considering it since I need to know how to set it up not just for the initial tune but also for all future tuning/mods.

Like you I'm running a Coyote (Aluminator N/A) but decided to run a Roush 2.3 TVS supercharger that also includes some VMP Tuning upgrades (67mm throttle body) GP Headers (stainless) headers and a few other "details" that will require tweaking with an engine management system, hence the Infinity.

I'm just finishing up with the cooling system and will start on the electrical system next.

So how was the class? do you recommend it?

Saul

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Saul,

I think you would find the class very worth while. Once you sign up, I think you will find a bit of a secret that Trevor and i stumbled on.

I would not hesitate to take the class again... The guys are just great there... very down to earth, helpful and SMART guys.

Let us know if you take the course, and if so, how it was.

We should be able to help you once you get the car going... Both Trevor and I will have been well into it by then.

Hoping to drive the car for the first time in the next day or two... Wish me luck!

David

·
Registered
623 Posts
Saul,

I too am more than willing to help you if you need or want any assistance with the AEM infinity. I second David's comments. A great class and even a better bunch of guys. You won't learn everything you need to know in the class (there's just too much to cover) but the guys and the tech support team are so helpful that you'll find their level of patience and willingness to help goes beyond measure (that's been my experience with them thus far).

And yes there is a great surprise that David and I were not expecting after we signed up for the class. Really cool. We'll leave that for your discovery.

One word of caution though. The support network to tune the controls pack Ford PCM is extensive and mainstream whether tuners are using products like HP Tuners or SCT. However when you change over the PCM to the Infinity system you may loose that vast network. The Infinity product just isn't as infused yet among the masses. This system is really more geared to the individual that is motivated to do their own tuning. Sounds like that is you. This product then is awesome for that.

Good luck and great to see someone else heading this same direction.

Trevor

·
493 Posts
Hello David and hello Trevor and thanks for your replies, I appreciate your responses and will no doubt be taking your advise on taking the class, fortunately I live in San Diego now so it won't be to as far at trip as you guys had to take, I'm a transplant of Citrus Heights and used to ran around in El Dorado (Back 10+ years ago) and yes I've even been in Rescue... blink.. darn I missed it!

Now you guy have me curious as to what that "Surprise" must be, I guess I will eventually figure it out.

As I'm finalizing the cooling (systems) I will start on the wiring shortly, again thanks and I look forward to more of your posts and advise.

Saul

:wave:

·
Registered
623 Posts
Saul,

I should mention one more thing which you may already know. You can go to AEM'S website and download their Infinity Tuner software for free as well as all users manuals and support documentation. The software also includes several calibration files for a host of different vehicles/engines including the Coyote. You can then familiarize yourself with the base tune for your engine and software in advance of the class. Both David and I did this before the class and it sure helped us keep up with the class. It also gave us the time to formulate questions about our specific application in preparation for the class. I can see that you will surely be focused on their boost control features. There are two manuals I would recommend. One is the Plug and Play Coyote harness installation manual and the other is the Infinity ECM users manual. Study these before the class too and it will help give you a leg up.

Have fun.

Trevor

·
8,184 Posts
MJN,

I believe MagaSquirt can control the engine and transmission using a MagaSquirt for the engine and the MegaShift automatic transmission controller for the transmission.

Megasquirt Kits / Assembled Engine Management Systems, Wideband o2 Sensor Systems and tuning products - DIYAutoTune.com

GPIO | MegaSquirt

MegaShift/GPIO Transmission Controller

Bill Lomenick
Thanks Bill!

I have been using an MS2 engine management system for a couple of years and have found it to be both powerful and easy to tune. I did a quick search for the Ford trans and the mega shift controller but didn't come up with anything so I'm not sure that anyone has pioneered the Ford 6R80 set up yet. I did notice that in October that they have 'Mega Meet 2015' about 20 minutes from where I live so I will have to go rub elbows with the gurus. Thanks again for the info!

·
Administrator
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a quick update... Ive been working on the FI system a bit over the last few days. Took it for the first drive yesterday and for the most part it went really well. No hesitation, or issues from the base map. The Lambda feedback was -10 to 15% for lower loads, but within 1-3% under higher loads and throttle positions.

When exiting off the freeway, the car when into limp mode. I was able to re-fire and get going again. After some investigation, I learned it was the DBW system. After talking to support they suggested I log and adjust the DBW PIDs ignition on and engine off. I did that for about 30 minute this afternoon and decided to take the car for another drive.

After 30 minutes of back roads and freeway (with Mary following me just in case) I had no issues. Car ran great! No shit, the car runs every bit as good as with the Ford PCM at part throttle and slower speeds. The only issue, is a slight dip in idle some times after coming to a stop when the car died once or twice. I know what I need to play with. Just havent gotten to it yet.

Driveability off idle and leaving from a stop is quite good. The Ign map is really conservative, as is the CAM timing, but throttle response is really good. I may actually deaden the pedal right off idle with the DBW tuning, but that remains to be seen. The Ford DBW curve is very dead down low. The cool thing is I can wire in a switch and flip between two throttle curves depending on what I want.

I played with the MAP smoothing a bit as there is a bit too much pulse in the MAP signal. I changed the smoothing from 30 to 50% and it made a significant difference. Tomorrows drive and log will tell me if I made it better or worse.

Tomorrow I plan to drive down to CnC in Folsom which is about 18 miles away and about 2000 ft difference in elevation, so that will be a good test.

·
Administrator
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ive been tweaking with the Infinity over the last couple weeks. I was getting some weird behavior when I had the fan and fuel pump wired to run at key on with a low battery. I called AEM and they stated when voltage drops too low, that can be an issue. I think they mentioned around 10v.

I took the time to wire in the Infinity so it would control the fan and fuel pump, dual throttle maps, USB logging switch, and traction control slip % mode switch. Since doing this and making sure my battery had a reasonable charge and I haven't had an issue since.

Having the USB logging switch has been nice for logging without the PC and only when I am driving in a way that the logging would be useful. The throttle map switch has been fun to play with. Right now I have it set for a linear curve and one that is softer for the first 30-40% of throttle.

This weekend we attended an event over in Lake Tahoe with an elevation of approximately 6000ft. Getting there puts you over 7000ft from what I understand. I was concerned that with such an elevation change I may have fuel mixture issues. Drove the car to approx 4000ft while logging and the lambda feedback stayed in check so decided to chance it. Keep in mind Im still running the base tune at this point with nothing but some tweaking of the idle PIDs tweaked. Lambda feedback should cover any issues, and it did.

The drive over was uneventful and the car ran great. We stayed over and the following day, we drove to truckee and then back home. Car ran as good as the factory PCM with the exception of being well down on power due to extremely conservative timing and cam curves.

After we got home, I took the time to map in some more aggressive cam curves based on tunes I had been studying. I left the timing conservative but changed the lambda to .820 under high load areas. The VE table was unchanged for the base tune.

Flashed the ECU this morning and drove the 17 or so miles to Euro Sunday and data logged during the trip. Immediately, there was significant difference in power. Did the same for the drive home trying to keep steady state throttle at different positions and RPMs.

Changing the cam curves required making big changes to the VE table. For the most part, lambda feedback kept everything safe and showed no real sign of detonation. Updated the VE table today based on the data log so need to see how much closer we are after the next drive.

Its getting to the point where I will need to take the car to the dyno and do a VE table sweep at different throttle positions to fill in the table and make sure Im safe at full throttle. Its pretty clear I dont be hitting 7000+ RPM under full load and keeping my license...

So far, so good. Im still really impressed with the system and how well the car ran with virtually no tuning. I can tell after the changes today we are moving in the right direction.

Still have allot of work to do for getting traction control setup with the wheel speed sensors and related challenges with converting from sine to digital but thats for a different thread.

David

·
493 Posts
Updates

Awesome!

I have been waiting for your next post to see how well you are doing.

Very encouraging to know that the system is working as advertised.

By the way I contacted AEM and talked to Vanessa regarding attending a class soon, she told me that there is some "required" tuning experience or certification requirements in order to attend, something I was not expecting since my field is not in automotive.

I didn't want to tip my hand so I didn't ask her any more questions, so my question is what were you and Trevor told regarding this?

Thanks! and keep the updates coming!

Saul

·
Administrator
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Sal,

There ais some previous experience re tuning required with the class. I have done some tuning on a few platforms, although not extensive. With that said, Mary and I purchased a car from AEM and I'm guessing that played into getting accepted into the class.

If you dont get accepted, you should consider contacting Beau, who is the instructor at AEM. I understand that he does tuning as well and is very good. Im sure there are several tuners in your area that can help also.

Since you have a blower on your car, you will need to be incredibly careful when tuning. Stating the obvious I know... but it bears repeating as I can imagine that was an expensive engine. :)

·
Administrator
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My apologies, its been a while since updating this thread.

Wired in the rest of the wheel speed sensors about a month or two ago and enabled the traction control.

This is probably the feature Im most excited about having. I've only gotten a bit of time tuning it, but even the stock settings worked fairly well. I literally just verified the wheel speed sensors were all tracking to the same speed and calibrated them to match true vehicle speed which was pretty painless.

Uf front I used factory sensors and Russ Thompson's ABS sensor adapters for the FFR front spindles and they worked perfectly.

Recently installed an AEM dial under the dash that I can use to select from several wheel speed slip settings which are fully tune-able and its been fun to play with. Ive been working on the PIDs for the traction control and starting to get the slip percentage dialed in reasonably well.

Its very reassuring to be able to nail the throttle and if the car breaks traction, the AEM Infinity will correct it and only allow a specific amount of slip regardless of the condition of the road.

When slip is set to ~6-8 mph, the car will still move around to make it fun and accelerate hard, but it stays fully in control. The car hooks up great, so it normally only kicks in when its cold out or Im screwing around :D I ended up looping our old car a few times due to slick road conditions, so this technology is very nice to have for safety.

Ive continued to play with the tune including VE, spark and cam timing etc to see what seems to work better. Mostly messing around for fun... but still need to get to the dyno to verify the upper RPM area under full load.

Tonight I was playing with Virtual Dyno using my AEM logs and figured out how to get that working. Need to go out and make some runs with the car on a level road to see what it reads. From all Ive read online, people say its very accurate.

So far(knock on wood) the system has been flawless and havent 'needed' to touch it. Ive just been having fun tweaking here and there and learning.

Last weekend made some cam timing changes based on information I found digging around some tuning sites. The car felt stronger and I found a small bit of knock here and there which wasnt there before. That makes sense as the cylinder pressures were higher and that must have caused it. I reduced the timing and fattened up the mixtures a bit and need to take the car out and test the new settings and see if they helped with the knock.

Still super happy I made the change, and its been great going through it with Trevor. Its nice to have dude that smart who is willing to help when I need it. :)

David

·
Registered
623 Posts
Ditto on having a smart guy you can bounce things off of when trying to solve some of the tuning problems. Thanks for the sound advice and for wrangling me into this whole ECU swap project. I too am super happy I made the change thanks to youre poking and prodding.

Tune on...

Trevor

1 - 18 of 18 Posts