Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my new axle from Currie and had a local machine shop press the bearing and collar on it. I went home and installed the new axle, then re-installed the brakes. I tested the new axle by rotating it by hand - no wobble. Now I'm ready for the repaired wheels to show up around Monday. My luck, we will get a week of rain.

But I will persevere :D

2FAST

·
Super Moderator
29,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Buggs.

I built my car in a one-car garage. We have 2 1-car garages in my condo complex. I built the car in one, and stored the body and parts in the other.

2FAST

·
1,027 Posts
Ok, that makes more sence. I had a couple of guys from my office looking at your site and we were all pretty impressed at the dedicaiton it would take to build a car in a storage locker.

Your build still impresses me, so no loss of distinction here.

[ January 29, 2004, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: Buggs ]

·
Junior Charter Member
882 Posts
LOL- I always thought it was a storage shed/self storage garage myself!

:D :eek: ;)

·
Premium Member
18,090 Posts
2Fast - Did you install a new seal in the axle tube?

·
Super Moderator
29,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seal? What seal??

·
Premium Member
18,090 Posts
Originally posted by 2FAST4U:
Seal? What seal??
The bearing you had pressed on - was it a sealed ball bearing?

The bearing that *was* on the car - was it a tapered roller bearing or a ball-bearing?

The Tapered Roller Bearings are lubricated by the differential fluid and the seal is part of the bearing. Sealed Ball Bearings do not use differential fluid for lubrication and this generally means that a seal is installed in the axle tube to keep the hot differential fluid from seeping out around the Ball Bearing.

·
Super Moderator
29,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The seal comes with the bearing. It is a Timken tapered bearing. The machine shop asked where the retainer was, and I explained to him that it is cresent shape so you can remove it without having to press off the bearing. If there was a seal missing, he would have mentioned it.

Gotha ya!!

2FAST

·
Super Moderator
29,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know Randy. And believe me, you have helped considerably. I'm just in a good mood because my car is almost back together after being laid up for 5 weeks. It could also be the massive amounts of caffeine I've had this morning.

Anyway, thanks for being vigilant.

Best regards
2FAST

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.