Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is some older stuff on here but I'd like to hear from anyone who's gone through the process in the last couple of years. About to start a MKIV build and want to know specifically if I am going to have to meet any emissions requirements. Does it matter what year my engine is? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am in the same place as you. I have been studying the “Assembled and Reconstructed Vehicle Manual”, Oct 2020 and emissions are not mentioned. It may be a part of the Ch 1.5 ASE Safety Inspection...?
Hope you get a response on this !

·
Registered
402 Posts
You register it as a Custom Vehicle and it requires an initial ASE inspection but no annual inspection. Emissions are not inspected. If you don't go this route then all items for the current registration year would be required, safety and emissions. Just follow the Assembled vehicle manual to the letter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am going through this right now. Here is what you will need to take completed to the DMV:
1. Weight certificate from certified scales
2. ASE certified mechanic inspection form VTR-64 (with copy of mechanics current certification)
3. Form VTR-68A law enforcement inspection (your local PD should be able to do this)
4. Form VTR-63 component part bill of sale
5. Form VTR- 61 Rebuilt vehicle statement
6. Form 130U Application for Texas title
7. 4 pictures- one from each corner
8. Copy of invoices for body, chassis, and motor
9. PATIENCE!

My DMV office in Carrollton TX had to send off to Austin for approval. 2 days and still waiting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am going through this right now. Here is what you will need to take completed to the DMV:
1. Weight certificate from certified scales
2. ASE certified mechanic inspection form VTR-64 (with copy of mechanics current certification)
3. Form VTR-68A law enforcement inspection (your local PD should be able to do this)
4. Form VTR-63 component part bill of sale
5. Form VTR- 61 Rebuilt vehicle statement
6. Form 130U Application for Texas title
7. 4 pictures- one from each corner
8. Copy of invoices for body, chassis, and motor
9. PATIENCE!

My DMV office in Carrollton TX had to send off to Austin for approval. 2 days and still waiting.
Thank you for this summary! I live in Mckinney area and my only concern is my “motor” block was purchased from an private individual and I paid cash. I am hesitant to complete the engine build until I am certain I can register it. I think I will call and discuss with the PD.
Jim

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all, that's exactly the information I needed. I'm glad to hear there is no emissions inspection, I really didn't want to have to shell out for the catalytic converters.
I'm in the DFW area as well Legend.

·
Registered
402 Posts
If you want to register as a custom vehicle which will exempt you from annual inspections and emissions you need to have the ASE mechanic fill out form VTR 852 instead of VTR 64. This is very important!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hopefully going to be starting the registration process in a couple of months. To get back to what jmgustin asked, it looks like the vehicle is required to have wiper. Can anyone confirm this for TX?
(I'm basing this on bobl saying to use the VTR 852 which says wipers must be inspected).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts