Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dilemma and would like to open up some conversation. I bought a partially assembled roaster, had a brand spanking new Tremec tranny paired with a enginefactory.com 302. The engine and tranny are already installed, tranny cover sheet metal is NOT. Lots of other body panels still off as well.

I started looking into short throw shifter options and settled on getting a MGW, perhaps with the extension from Fast Freddie. Then I did some research on exactly what type of Tremec I had.....low and behold I had a TKO with the mid-shift options! However, it seems to install the mid shift option, I'd need to remove the back cover of the tranny. So here are my options:

1. Order MGW + FF extension.
2. Order mid shift kit (unhook drivetrain and pull back end of tranny off)
a. If I do this, it looks like the Tremec kit comes with a new shifter tower. Do I need this if I go with a MGW shifter?

Thoughts/suggestions/likes???

thanks all.

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi shooter,
The midshifter moves the shifter to the 12.5" postion on your TKO. The MGW shifter is not made to work on a midshifted TKO. If you want to install the OEM shifter in the stock location of the TKO I have OEM parts to move the shifter back.

·
Too much is just enough.
5,872 Posts
To answer your question, you need to answer one first. do you want a stock Cobra position for the shifter, or would you rather have a mid shifter about 8 inches closer to the dash? If you want to have the mid shift, do the TKO mid shifter. Sure it will take lots of hours, but in the end you could have a short throw shifter that probably shifts better. It at least looks better IMO. more sporty.
I could be wrong, but if you go with the MGW sts, you dont need the TKO tower. I personally like the TKO mid shifter better than anything I've seen, and sadly Hurst doesn't make a mid shifter for the TKO that is a small straight stick.

·
Charter Member
4,001 Posts
If you want to relocate the TKO shifter to the mid-shift position there are several kits from Forte,to D&D transmission,and others.
I got my kit from D&D Transmission in Wixom , MI.
Essentially you will take out the rearmost mounted shifter and remove one or two internal link bars,a few roll pins and install the new shifter in the next forward opening and 30 minutes later you're pretty well done(OK mine was out of the car).
The kits have all the parts you need,except tools of course.
You'll need a 3/16 diam drift pin
a small hammer
a magnetic pickup is is a life saver for those roll pins that want to fall and hide at the bottom of the trans.
A good trans sealer like Permatex "Automatic Transmission RTV Sealant"
will help give you a nice dry seal after you put it all back together.
HTH
Paul

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi shooter,
The midshifter moves the shifter to the 12.5" postion on your TKO. The MGW shifter is not made to work on a midshifted TKO. If you want to install the OEM shifter in the stock location of the TKO I have OEM parts to move the shifter back.
So the website says TKO500, but its only for the original location?
http://www.mgwltd.com/mustang_shifter.shtml

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To answer your question, you need to answer one first. do you want a stock Cobra position for the shifter, or would you rather have a mid shifter about 8 inches closer to the dash? If you want to have the mid shift, do the TKO mid shifter. Sure it will take lots of hours, but in the end you could have a short throw shifter that probably shifts better. It at least looks better IMO. more sporty.
I could be wrong, but if you go with the MGW sts, you dont need the TKO tower. I personally like the TKO mid shifter better than anything I've seen, and sadly Hurst doesn't make a mid shifter for the TKO that is a small straight stick.
I don't care about stock look. I just don't want a long elaborate shifter. Is the mid-shift kit's tower a "short throw shifter" then?

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
I used Fortes mid shift with his handle, judge for yourself, I installed with trans in car, just had to drop drive shaft out of the way. And NO shifter does not hit center console.

·
Charter Member
653 Posts
I really like my Fortes supplied midshift kit. I'm 6' tall and it falls to hand very nicely.

Here's a pick installed....

·
Too much is just enough.
5,872 Posts
Ya it pretty much is short throw I think. Anyways, the shifter is a ton smaller and in a better place to shift. You can also do a front shifter set up. i think I saw a FFR with this...

·
6,306 Posts
Mid shift it. You'll pat yourself on the back for being so smart everytime you go for a drive.

Like Paul said, it's not that hard to do and you're under construction anyway so not a big deal.
Frank

1 - 10 of 10 Posts