Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
If my cobra sits for a week or so, Air is slowly running out from the tires :sad:.
Tires are allmost new.
The garage told me that air is escaping between the tire to the rim.
The situation got better after they put some seal cream..
Do you recommend inner tubes ?
If yes, Where can i purchase it ?
Thank you and have a great weekend.

· FFR Craftsman
684 Posts
Are the rims in good shape? Sometimes you'll get corrosion on the rim or the coating will start chipping away. They can probably be refinished. Once you get it to seal, switch to nitrogen. After five years of using it in our shop, I know it works.
Cheers
Bill

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

· Junior Charter Member
2,071 Posts
Bead Sealer

Datsun:

Inner tubes are not the answer and are expensive, obsolete items except maybe on classic wire wheels.

Get yourself some bead sealer. Here is the NAPA part number. Cost about $20.00.

BK 7101204

NAPA AUTO PARTS

Follow the instructions. You may have something on the rims or tires that is causing the leak. Clean the tires and the rims and make sure there are no bumps left over from the molding process on the bead area of the tire.

How to Seal a Tire on a Rim - Autos.com

Ron

· Registered
846 Posts
On these cars ~22lbs is good. Too much air and you will have a very rough ride. But depending on the tire size you can one way or the other. 15's you may use a little more, lower profile and different tires you may use less.

· Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
One more issue please -
What's the recommended tire air pressure ? 30 ?
What size tire? I run 26lbs on the street, on my 15" Yokohama's. Ride is fine, not harsh at all.

· FFCobra Craftsman
26,000 Posts
Sealing beads is a real pain. I have used the sealer Ron recommended many times and it always works but...there is usually some work needed to clean the wheel first. I have used these
Drill Wire Wheel | Buy.com
and these
3M Industrial Products Catalog: adhesives, tapes, abrasives and more: Gasket Removal Discs
While I was a dealer tech we charged one hour per wheel which included all the dismounting,cleaning,mounting and balancing. This was really common on 4-5 year old chrome wheels.
Good luck.

· Junior Charter Member
1,146 Posts
It's a symptom of not enough use. Daily drivers rarely have the problem, for them, it's all about punctures. What hasn't happened yet is enough road miles to warm the tire beads and "cure" them to the rims.

Nitrogen is definitely recommended for cars that sit for long periods, as it reduces the oxidation inherent with rubber products, but it's largely because the nitrogen is water free, unlike ambient air. The industry just hasn't gotten to selling 30 pound tanks of nitrogen for home use, so the cost is high vs the handling improvement - the average driver won't even notice. It's mostly improved corrosion resistance that is the main benefit.

For all that, having a good water filtration system on the home air compressor would be money ahead.

· Registered
919 Posts
Another vote for Nitrogen. I have the Goodyear Blue Streak racing tires aka Billboards which which I read are prone to loosing air through the sidewall over time.

1. I had them filled with Nitrogen 3 years ago they have not lost Any pressure.

2. Aluminum Oxidizes...from being exposed to Oxygen

3. Rubber Oxidizes from being exposed to Oxygen

Take away the Oxygen = Longer Wheel and Tire life.

As a side benefit for me because 1, 2 & 3 were primary considerations is Nitrogen does not change volume anywhere near the same rate as air does with changes in temperature which is why it is used in aircraft tires and on racing circuits.

I found that many new car dealers now have a nitrogen generator and had my tires mounted and balanced at one. Your good car dealers are also required by the OEM to trouble shooting noise and vibration issues an. d as a result have top notch balancing equipment...though they May Not have the stick-on weights or a tech that knows how to operate the equipment.

Jack

· Junior Charter Member
2,071 Posts
Nitrogen info

All:

Nitrogen isn't the magic gas everyone is making it out to be, but it does have some benefits. We used to take a nitrogen bottle and regulator to the races to air the tires up and run the air guns. Worked better than a generator and compressor and was quieter. Nitrogen in race tires is good because it is dry, but remember all air is 78% nitrogen anyway. Getting the water out of plain air will be good for most uses. Putting a water filter on your home air line will get you 95% percent of the benefits of pure nitrogen. Less expansion when hot and less chance of corrosion. Several race car tool and equipment makers sell air dryers, but you can make one yourself or buy a filter at automotive paint stores. Tire rack has some notes on tire inflation and nitrogen. Amazing how porous rubber is.

Tire Tech Information - Clearing the Air About Nitrogen Tire Inflation

Tire Tech Information - Clearing the Air About Nitrogen Tire Inflation

Ron

7,201 Posts
Thanks you guys for the info.
One more issue please -
What's the recommended tire air pressure ? 30 ?

I check my air pressure every week even if I haven't driven the car and it stays pretty steady at 24psi (+/- a pound or so) for a month. To determine my running pressure I started at 1lb per 100lbs of vehicle weight and drove the car. Let air out, put air in until I found the ride and handling I like.

Ray

· Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
Let air out, put air in until I found the ride and handling I like. Ray
I do the same with my blow up doll..:evil:

Yup.. PSI is PSI, regardless of where you are:).
I do know that tires sold in Canada, besides PSI ratings, also show "Kilo-pascal pressure ratings", or kPa..Is that what you were looking for?

1 kilopascal = 0.145037738 pound-force per inch²
1 kPa = 0.145037738 psi

Handy conversion chart..
pound-force per (square inch) to kilopascal - pressure conversion table (mobile)

· Registered
592 Posts
I have trouble with one tire/wheel on my Saleen. The tire store has told me that in addition to having some porosity in the wheel, some tire lubes will interact with aluminum and cause slight corrosion at the bead, which lifts the tire slightly away from the wheel. This allows the air or nitrogen to escape.

Do not know if this is true or not, as I have not stayed in a Holiday Inn in years.

Roy from Springboro

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.